New Dyna-Glo vertical offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Finally found its permanent resting place. More to come.
20181020_093349.jpg

Wimly69 with your idea of the extra intake I added a exhaust. I easily kept my dynaglo wide body around 225-250 in 45 degree rainy weather(under carport). I smoked these two beauties.
20181208_150758.jpg
20181208_150637.jpg
20181208_150758.jpg
20181208_150637.jpg
20181208_150758.jpg

IMG_1110.JPG
Hi all, My G?F just bought me one of these, and i got it together with theRTV450,
but when i stuck the weather stripping (wrong name) to the smoker door the upper and lower corner won't close tight,
can one tweak the door--like a cabinet door to get it to bend into flush? i don't want to break the welds,
i noticed it was leaking smoke today on its break-in run,
the fire-box door wouldn't even close, so i took it off the door,
ill use the RTV on that later,

this is going to be a fun smoker for me, as ive been using a 22inch webber and its not really a smoker, but a great BBQ rig,
but im wanting to smoke jerky lots of jerky,,teriyaki jerky,,im addicted

here it is on its smoke break-in, 28 deg out and puffing away at 225 deg

cheers
John

Reactions: Rings Я Us
I just purchased a new Dyna Glo vertical smoker, haven't use it yet. Gonna do seal tight mods on it first. I have read that there is an issue with bringing up to temp and /or holding temps. I'm gonna try 2000 degree castable clay refractory on all the inner surfaces to help hold the heat and maintain temp...Has anyone tried this yet?

Reactions: Rings Я Us
I just purchased a new Dyna Glo vertical smoker, haven't use it yet. Gonna do seal tight mods on it first. I have read that there is an issue with bringing up to temp and /or holding temps. I'm gonna try 2000 degree castable clay refractory on all the inner surfaces to help hold the heat and maintain temp...Has anyone tried this yet?
I see people use the heat proof tiles inside to insulate and hold heat. Not in this smoker but in some others of similar type. Set some on the top and inside on the bottom and sides up to the bottom rack level maybe. Couple on the top of the fire box perhaps.
However you do your smokers insulation, remember, it's cheap and works ok in the summer months. Lol. I would just buy a better smoker that was thick or insulated if I had to do it over again. CHARCOAL at $5 or $6 a bag is cheap enough to just go ahead and use 2 bags during a cook. I used 2 full bags of ridge doing a double butt cook the other day. I expected that. No big deal.
Good luck.

IMG_20181118_114130.jpg

so im working on a "Minion-Burn-Insert"
don't know if ill have to drill holes in the bottom sheet or not, I figure ill fill the center first as its larger, to get my
first heat high, then as it wraps around in the smaller area the heat hopefully will taper down for a long burn,
(I made a spiral one for my 22inch webber grill and it works great)

anyways thats what im hoping,
im going to use coat hanger, through holes to keep it together and it will just sit in there on the shelf grill,

oh and im going to cut out a deflector and get it in the smoker side too,
cheers--its a balmy 2 deg here
IMG_1117.JPG

Reactions: Ronald Anthony Jr
Ok guys, I have been looking at this smoker for a while now and decided this is the one i want to modify. My wife says i have enough projects on my hands but this one is for me!
Im going to seal it up good and install a heat baffle. Then im going to add a heat element in the cook box for when i don't want to use wood or maybe to add a little extra. Im going to install a pid to control the heating element. I wanted a smoker that i could do both wood and electric with. So here we go!

Ok guys, I have been looking at this smoker for a while now and decided this is the one i want to modify. My wife says i have enough projects on my hands but this one is for me!
Im going to seal it up good and install a heat baffle. Then im going to add a heat element in the cook box for when i don't want to use wood or maybe to add a little extra. Im going to install a pid to control the heating element. I wanted a smoker that i could do both wood and electric with. So here we go!
James, post pictures when you're done and let us know how it does! I've been thinking about adding an electric or gas burning too.

You may have just started a whole new trend !!! Smoking in the Living Room :emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished:

Gary

so im working on a "Minion-Burn-Insert"
don't know if ill have to drill holes in the bottom sheet or not, I figure ill fill the center first as its larger, to get my
first heat high, then as it wraps around in the smaller area the heat hopefully will taper down for a long burn,
(I made a spiral one for my 22inch webber grill and it works great)

anyways thats what im hoping,
im going to use coat hanger, through holes to keep it together and it will just sit in there on the shelf grill,

oh and im going to cut out a deflector and get it in the smoker side too,
cheers--its a balmy 2 deg here
View attachment 382610

Did you test this out yet?

I'll get them for you
Any Chance you took those pictures?

Ok so the first 2 mods were the stop on the wood basket so it doesn't come all the way out and drop on the ground. The second pic is the heat baffle in the cook box. Still need to add a leg on the end but waiting to install that after i install the heat element in the bottom. More to come later when my supplies come in.
20190104_105625.jpg
20190104_105644.jpg

What did you make your baffle from?, and it also looks like you haven't seasoned this yet. I can tell you a couple cans of canola oil worked the best for me.

What did you make your baffle from?, and it also looks like you haven't seasoned this yet. I can tell you a couple cans of canola oil worked the best for me.
Baffle is made of 1/16 stainless. Had a piece of scrap at work. Just punched some holes in it and put a bend on the end.
I just lit the first thing of charcoal in it to see what it would do a few minutes ago.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky