New Dyna-Glo vertical offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My Minion baffle didn't work, so i took a BIG "real big" tomato can and have that sitting in the basket, on the right hand side, and center,, i load and burn around the can
thats working very well,
I made my smoke-baffle from a bread holder, its a 3 roll french bread metalbaking sheet with a zillion holes in it
I flattened it out, bent one end at a 90 and have it sitting on my lowest shelf for now its working very well
id do pics but im smoking 5pounds of jerky as i type, 35 deg out and its chugging along nicely

Did some more mods yesterday to the new smoker. I installed a heat element and pid to help keep the temp stable and just because it sounded like a great idea..lol
My question is where i should instsll my thermocouple that tells you what the temp is in the cook box. I was thinking about 6 inches from the top on the left side or middle on the back. What's your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190115_171040.jpg
    20190115_171040.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 224
Reactions: Ronald Anthony Jr
So i had some free time this evening so i installed the thermocouple in the back about 8 inches from the top. I also installed the cover over the back of the heat element connections.

Attachments

• 20190116_161907.jpg
    20190116_161907.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 20190116_194653.jpg
    20190116_194653.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 247
So i had some free time this evening so i installed the thermocouple in the back about 8 inches from the top. I also installed the cover over the back of the heat element connections.
Do you have a picture of the element you installed?

Did some more mods yesterday to the new smoker. I installed a heat element and pid to help keep the temp stable and just because it sounded like a great idea..lol
My question is where i should instsll my thermocouple that tells you what the temp is in the cook box. I was thinking about 6 inches from the top on the left side or middle on the back. What's your thoughts?

What PID is that?

My chimney mod (post #399) made a huge difference and will be adding the butterfly take-off this spring. Ive also trimmed the ash drawer which blocks the bottom of the air intakes by about an inch which allows more under grate air flow. The most important air imod was the addition of upper air intakes that's made it extremly efficient.
20170909_162206-1.jpg

Reactions: Ronald Anthony Jr
Hey all. Someone posted these earlier in the forum and they did not post the name of these fire/kiln bricks. I can not for the life of me find them online... Thanks in advance peeps!!
yup that was me that posted, ive been mia ill check it out and try to get you the name and where i got them

I'm new here and just got this smoker. I has already planned adding a deflector to the inside of the smoking chamber. I have been making fantastic meat on my primo and needed something to cook more than one piece of meat. Having cooked on a ceramic, I have been playing with ideas on ways to insulate this thing.

Has anyone though about using perlite and fireglass to line the fire chamber?

Also has anyone created a new air intake that can connect a heatermeter fan or guru fan?

I hope some of the regulars come in soon to discuss. But I got my smoker together, i already planned to seal it with high temp silicone and but a plate to disperse the heat, prior to finding this thread. Well i did all of that. But i also wanted to insulate the fire box. I did with the method i provided above, and have some lessons learned. Well look at what the smoker did. this is with no fan, light the center of the charcoal box with torch, damper open about 1/2 for 15 mins ( until it reached 150 or so.) then the damper closed completely, The damper doesnt seal well at all. Im working on a mod for that to i can attach my RD3. pit probe was on first rack right above the defuser plate, probe 1 2 was 2 racks up, probe 2 was 2 racks up from 1. and probe 3 looks to have broken. lol. im going to run a few more tests. but it looks as though insulating the fire box. blows out any notion that this smoker cant get hot. Next i need to insulate the meat chamber. Thinking of sewing some welding blankets together to make a koozie that i could drape over it. but the door will be tricky. I could plays a thinner layer of this mixture in there. but it takes so long to dry, but i could fire it right off the bat. i want to test that first though. we will see.

oqKkACY.jpg

Did some smoking past two days using Wide body. Lump charcoal and mix of apple and hickory wood. Once again it reminded me that it’s a great smoker but for short runs.
I still prefer WSM for ribs.

Duck
26256FBE-9E33-4469-B7B1-4B80B0FCBB8A.jpeg

Duck breasts and pork belly
815F1ECF-D42F-4DA4-A9F0-FC43C760E829.jpeg

Chickens
1A8E6DAE-17D1-4C91-BFEF-F09212FD287D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackDog
I've had the narrow body version of this for 2 years now. I think for the money it's a great buy. The only mod I did was to add some hi-heat tape to the main door to help it seal up a bit better. I definitely have some challenges depending on the weather - especially wind, but I find that part of the fun. If you want a set-it-and-forget-it smoker then this one is not for you. That being said, I think you'll get a chance to achieve a better smoke flavor when you compare it to an electric smoker. I have even managed to win a few rib cookoffs on my Dyna-Glo. Granted they were small competitions but a win is a win!

Pros: inexpensive, easy to assemble, great natural wood smoke flavor, lots of room for meats

Cons: long smokes require babysitting, metal boxes are thin gauge, intakes are subpar, have to cut ribs in half to get on rack

I'll probably look into getting a Yoder when I'm older and hopefully have some more coin in my pocket, but for now I like what I've got.

Hey all! New to the forums here. I just ordered this smoker after years on my modded stick burner. wimpy69 wimpy69 I'm really interested in your upper air intake mods. Could you tell me more about them or point me in the right direction to find a post on them? I'd really appreciate it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky