New Chargriller Gravity Fed Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One area to improve over Masterbuilt, would be grease management. A system that's easier to clean. I line the grease tray and manifold on my 560 with foil, but its a job. Just me, I don't like cooking with grease flareups, that's not the kind of sear I'm looking for. But many people like that and MB provides that.

And a heavier build would provide some peace of mind that its going to last longer than a few seasons.

What I don't get about gravity feeds, is the price difference between quality insulated units like Assassin, etc and the MB units. Chargriller seems to be showing that its not hard to build one of these. Price jumps from $500 / $1,000 to $2,000/$3000 ( Old Country GF excluded ) .

One of three I am considering now (the other two being the Masterbuilt Gravity 800 and 1050). Right now leaning towards the 1050, however will try to check both out in person this weekend if I can find display models.

Looks like it could be a great grill. You getting one JJ?

Warren

Not at this point. I would like a new smoker but there are other priorities right now.

There are only a handful of Videos but from what I can tell, the steel seems thicker than what Masterbuilt is using. Many part, inside and out, are enamel coated rather than painted. The Flame Manifold is one example. Whether the enamel coating holds up, remains to be seen. Looks solid...JJ

Can't wait to see your write up on her under long smoke events like a brisket and a whole day of grilling. I would like one of these, but with all of the confusion about the durability and feed issues, I just can't pull the trigger on one yet. 🍻

John

This seems to be the future of smoking. Great flavor without the hassle of tending a fire. Although I still like to sit by my Lang on a cool day & feed it & baste my ribs. To me that is a good day.
Al

I have a Masterbuilt GF .... and while convenient , its still charcoal/chunk and I would not trade it for my stick burner. Its great in the winter when I don't want to spend the day on the patio with the stick burner. And this GF burns pretty clean , as charcoal/chunk goes , but it ain't no stick burner.

I have a Masterbuilt GF .... and while convenient , its still charcoal/chunk and I would not trade it for my stick burner. Its great in the winter when I don't want to spend the day on the patio with the stick burner. And this GF burns pretty clean , as charcoal/chunk goes , but it ain't no stick burner.

In your opinion why is your off set better? Looking to replace my propane unit and GF is on the table. I've gone away from off set because I don't want to babysit but I'm curious now.

I think you really need to identify what you want to accomplish, and then try to match up what will work best for your situation?

I agree with spending the time and tending to the smoker, that's why I won't buy a pellet smoker, I like to putz with the whole smoking event. My WSM needs attention, I just bought the Masterbuilt 1050 and have done 1 grill so far but I really like it.

Offset wood smoker would be nice, but what I would get always seems pricey I guess.

Hope my input makes sense!

This seems to be the future of smoking. Great flavor without the hassle of tending a fire. Although I still like to sit by my Lang on a cool day & feed it & baste my ribs. To me that is a good day.
Al

I'm envious of you guys that are retired and have got the time to do this. I truly mean that - I am looking forward to that when the kids are older and I am at or close to retirement. Until then, something more convenient means I will use it more. I am about to purchase a Gravity 1050. I feel a little bit like it's cheating, because even though my WSM doesn't need much maintenance, it seems they do need a lot more than the gravity fed. But then I think - if I use it more and get more good food on the table, is that really cheating, or is that the point of it all?

Stick burner is in my future, but it's probably 15-20 years in the future.

My WSM needs attention, I just bought the Masterbuilt 1050 and have done 1 grill so far but I really like it.

Curious if your WSM will see any use now that you have the 1050? I have an 18" WSM and am most likely about to buy the 1050. I predict my WSM will collect dust until Memorial Day, at which point my dad has asked to buy it from me (zero chance I take his money, but he'll surely get the smoker).

Now if someone would just invent an auto feed stick burner...!
Of course it would have to come with a stick sizer appliance to regulate and normalize the amount of fuel it feeds itself.
How about a robotic wood splitter/cutter that works at the behest of the ECU to add the precise amount of wood at just the right time.
Until then, M/B560 for me.

• Haha
Reactions: Three B's
I looks like a nice unit and I agree with Al, it seems this is a new direction for smoking equipment. I also like the horizontal layout vs a cabinet style. I have "morphed" into a hybrid stick burner with a bed of coals. For long smokes when I add a split I also add a couple coals....It just keeps the fire more consistent and super clean burning.

I would like to build a GF to add to the collection with a PID and fan.....and seeing these new units really flames that desire....the sad thing is they would be way less money.

I'm not retired and do find time to sit and tend the fire on a day off or nice weekend, but I do use the pellet ALOT as well for those other times. Our Pellet is getting near the 12y old mark so hence the consideration for a GF build....

Now if someone would just invent an auto feed stick burner...!
Of course it would have to come with a stick sizer appliance to regulate and normalize the amount of fuel it feeds itself.
How about a robotic wood splitter/cutter that works at the behest of the ECU to add the precise amount of wood at just the right time.
Until then, M/B560 for me.
Danger Will Robinson!!!! You got me thinking and searching the internet. I don't believe its out of the ability of any good metal worker to modify existing self-feed technology using lump charcoal. briquettes, and pellets. Enlarge the chute to accommodate a "standard" stick size, relocate the feed chute to the top or the read side of the fire box, let gravity take the wood into the fire box and use the technology already developed for self-feeding technology with lump charcoal. briquettes, and pellets to feed the box and maintain chamber temps. There are patents on self-feeding wood stoves using full logs as well as "survival" self feeding fire pits, apply them to the concept. 🍻

The auto fed offset is a neat idea to consider. The mechanical side, in my opinion, can no doubt be done.

The first thing I think of when I ponder this topic is about the wood itself. Unlike charcoal or pellets, one piece of wood from my stash is never identical to the next. Maybe it would work with kiln dried? But then again I don't burn kiln dried wood so I wouldn't know if that'd be viable or not.

Interesting topic though. I guess I'll keep "putzing around"(as my wife would say) my offset until someone smarter figures it out!

Not at this point. I would like a new smoker but there are other priorities right now.

There are only a handful of Videos but from what I can tell, the steel seems thicker than what Masterbuilt is using. Many part, inside and out, are enamel coated rather than painted. The Flame Manifold is one example. Whether the enamel coating holds up, remains to be seen. Looks solid...JJ

I understand that but maybe if you are a good boy it could happen with that up coming birthday. :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

Warren

I have been studying the owners manual for this and it has given me lots of ideas on a new build......I really like the concept a lot!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky