• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New Chargriller Gravity Fed Grill

JWFokker

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 5, 2019
IDK how these things produce smoke that's different from other charcoal/chunk smokers , but they do.
Similar to the KBQ C-60 they should burn pretty hot and thus quite clean. Between the forced air and the firebox liner trapping heat a lot of volatile organic compounds are going to be completely burned.

Smokin Okie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 27, 2018
Another vid from Horsman, but this one has me confused. He's getting a lot of smoke. But he does not say if he put wood in the hopper. He swears by B&B Oak charcoal, but does not say that's what he's using. I don't like seeing that much smoke from just charcoal.

EDIT -- just read in the comments he says he added wood to the hopper

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
I agree. My small issue with it...Its only available in BLUE from Lowe's but MENARD'S carries the Sweet looking RED ones!!!! Not Fair.😆...JJ

Smokin Okie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 27, 2018
Horsman makes his choice between MB and CharGriller ............ I would tell ya what he chose, but why ruin the suspense ......:emoji_relaxed:

PPG1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 22, 2020
Side by Side it's hard dispute it. And i so loved my MB560. Now I feel like i'm going to have to have an affair with Char-Griller. Now when I cook on the MB I'll find any reason to start a fight with it. I just have to convince my wife that I need the C-G.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
I have been talking to Tom since he got the CG. I left a comment as well...JJ

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
I don't have a Ferrari but I can talk about how much better built it is than a Yugo...JJ😊

Smokin Okie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 27, 2018
Interesting that CharGriller put the fan on the outside of the hopper, so the air would blow across the firebox and into the cook chamber.

MB has been the fan on inside of hopper, pointed in more upward angle. Air flow goes up and then back into the cook chamber.

The Chargriller , being a longer cook chamber, may need that extra push to get the air through the manifold. And then they put a heat defector/grease drain on top of the manifold. That's a lot of air restriction.

But this guy did an impressive biscuit test with the Chargriller. The biscuit test I ran on the MB 560 was not this even.

mcokevin

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 18, 2016
But this guy did an impressive biscuit test with the Chargriller. The biscuit test I ran on the MB 560 was not this even.
Curious if you have purchased the mod pack from LSS for your 560? I am noticing temp differences of 15-20 degrees within my 1050, with the higher temps being observed closer to the firebox. The temps are consistent so I can deal with it if I need to, but I'd like to even it out. Wondering if the mod pack (specifically the water bowl) help with this at all.

Smokin Okie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 27, 2018
Curious if you have purchased the mod pack from LSS for your 560? I am noticing temp differences of 15-20 degrees within my 1050, with the higher temps being observed closer to the firebox. The temps are consistent so I can deal with it if I need to, but I'd like to even it out. Wondering if the mod pack (specifically the water bowl) help with this at all.
No, the only mod I've bought is a new middle grate by Joes Grill Grates.

Temps don't tell the whole story. Do a biscuit test.

On my 560, the hottest part of the lower grate was just to the left of center. I posted pics of my biscuit tests in the MB thread, I did them back in January.

Three B's

Joined Mar 17, 2020
I never knew about the biscuit test so I'll give that a shot next. I have only done the burn off and two seasonings so far on the 980 but temps seem to hold really well. I am also using a power pack from Amazon that is getting mixed reviews. So far so good for me.

Smokin Okie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 27, 2018
I never knew about the biscuit test so I'll give that a shot next. I have only done the burn off and two seasonings so far on the 980 but temps seem to hold really well. I am also using a power pack from Amazon that is getting mixed reviews. So far so good for me.
That last vid I posted, about four posts up, has a biscuit test on a 980 .

Biscuit test is better than temps. It tells how food cooks, which would include convection. Temps alone don't take convection into account.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.