Need receipe for turkey legs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

96Romeo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
Hi guys! I need a recipe for jumbo turkey legs. Was going to toss them in a basic brine and mix melted butter and maple syrup together to baste. I have Jeff's book and his recipe sounds good but my wife and kids don't like anything spicy so I am looking for an alternative receive. Thanks in advance.

i would brine them in pop's brine to make like a turkey ham, then baste with your butter, maple syrup mix as your smoking them, if your planning on smoking them!

Reactions: zwiller
Shoot it up with this and a little S&P
4fa751c7-cce2-4bc4-b13f-d6fa0bdb279a_1.8acad23e8d673c1ce0049f27ca5f3fb6.jpeg

i myself dont like the cured legs like i do just brined and smoked low and slow.. i like mesquite to start with hickory. i dont spritz i freeze them n thaw slow put on grill or oven wrapped with little juice of choice. i have tried different brines and all taste good just slightly different. i hang small end up. and i always use the top of my smoker. cotton twine on crochet needle to hang on grates works for me. ya i learned to to crochet 55 yrs ago and needle work on kitchen towels.

i would brine them in pop's brine to make like a turkey ham, then baste with your butter, maple syrup mix as your smoking them, if your planning on smoking them!
What is the recipe for pops curing brine? How long should i let the drumsticks soak? And I do plan on smoking them.

A no cure brine

Motion carried, Pops brine. I prefer the low salt. Make sure skin is dry to touch before smoking. Search pellicle for more info.

You might like to try my version of these...JJ

STATE FAIR TURKEY LEGS

1/2C Kosher Salt (1/4C Table Salt)
1C Brown Sugar
1T Cure #1
2T Paprika
2T Gran. Garlic
2T Gran. Onion
2T Dry Thyme
2T Black Pepper
4ea Crumbled Bay Leaves
1-Gal Cold Water to cover Legs

Mix well and Soak the Legs a Full 48 Hours to 72 Hours for Jumbo Legs.

Remove the Legs, rinse and pat dry.

Place in an open container in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours for the Skin to dry, aka, form a Pellicle. This will give a crispier skin when Smoking ...

Smoke at 275 to 325°F until an IT of 175°F...JJ

This is what I use, the low sodium version, soaked for 3 days. Add a little dry rub seasoning and hot smoke. Everyone loves these

What is the recipe for pops curing brine? How long should i let the drumsticks soak? And I do plan on smoking them.
They got ya covered, I usually start poultry 180-200 for 1/2 an hour to 45 minutes to get some good smoke then crank it up to 300-325 until done to get some crispy skin.

Had to smoke on the indoor part of my deck. Thanks for all the help the turkey drumsticks turned out great!

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_151537.jpg
    IMG_20200907_151537.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200907_113207.jpg
    IMG_20200907_113207.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200907_114713.jpg
    IMG_20200907_114713.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 6
I've never made them before since nobody in our house likes turkey legs. However this recipe did sound good.

It may be worth a read.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky