need last minute black eyed peas recipe.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
got the pork part covered. I used to have a black eye pea salad recipe years ago that had onions red vinegar some pepper and stuff. It has disappeared with one of my previous live-ins. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
any good recipes out there? ribs take 5 hours so should fit that time frame. I'm not all that bitchy bout canned because it's too late to soak and cook.
Happy New Year IMG-3084.JPG !
john

I just did some last minute ham and beans a couple days ago . I used an instant pot . If you have one , that makes short work of it with great results . I used dry beans and some home cured and smoked hocks .

Reactions: fxsales1959
While I usually soak black eyed peas overnight, it isn't absolutely necessary.

I cook them with an onion, some garlic and black pepper. Don't add salt until about 3 hours in.

Anyway, slice up some ham or bacon and pork sausage. Throw them all in, bring to a boil and simmer for at least 4 hours. Add the salt about 3 hours in, otherwise, I feel it dries out the peas too quickly.

IMG_0104.JPG

Good Luck with your search. I've been meaning to look up a recipe for that. This thread spurred me to do just that. Wow, the variations on the theme are mind boggling. It all looks and sounds so good. She-Beast loves blackeyed peas from the can, straight up, maybe a little bacon grease. I like to cook them from dry with lots of onion and bacon bits and the grease from the fried bacon bits. Not exactly heart healthy. The more you dress them up the more I like them, hence my interest in the salads.

OP, here's a couple of recipes for roadmaps. They are of the some of this and some of that variety. They are intended to be dips but could be called salads too I think.

Cowboy Caviar

Peas drained and rinsed - any except green or seasoned
Black Beans drained and rinsed
Navy or Small White Beans drained and rinsed
Whole Kernal Niblets type Corn drained
Chickpeas(?) drained and rinsed if used
2 Rotel with cilantro and lime (drained/one drained?)
Finely Diced Onion of any color of your choice
Big Pimentos drained
Hellmann's Cilantro Lime Sauce
Salt, Cajun Seasoning, or Sazon to taste
Black, or White pepper to taste
Chili Powder lightly
Garlic Powder
good Italian Salad Dressing, or Ranch, or Blue Cheese
favorite chips

Redneck Caviar

2 cans black eyed peas, drained
2 cans shoe peg corn, drained
2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes, drained
2 lg bell peppers, chopped or 2 Lg jars pimentos drained
1 can black beans, drained
12 sm. green onions, chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp parsley flakes
16 oz bottle Zesty Italian Dressing - add until desired consistency

How to make it
Mix peas, beans, corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes with garlic salt, garlic powder, parsley flakes and Italian dressing.
Refrigerate at least 12 hours before serving. Serve with Frito or Tostitos Scoops.

Thanks All!
Happy New year!
The ribs sucked so bad we just threw a can of beans with garlic onions and Gpeppers on the stove. superstition re
IMG-3085.jpg
solved.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky