BDSkelly ~ New Years Eve Neck Bone Black-Eyed Peas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
DFW North Texas

Happy New Year friends! 

I thought I'd make some black eyed peas today for New Years.  They say they will bring you good luck for the entire year...  I can use all the luck I can get!  

But Unfortunately there must have been a run at the store for Hocks!  In a semi panic I noticed neck bones in the display.  No problem!  A man on a mission.  I tossed em in the cart.
  • 2 pounds of Black Eyed Peas.
  • 2 Ham hocks. (The store was out of hocks so I'm smoking neck bones)
  • 1 can of Rotel
  • 32oz beef stock or broth along with enough water to cover the peas by an inch or so.
  • 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of oregano. 
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder 
  • 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic. 
  • Salt to taste but the remember that the hock will be salty so wait on adding till last.
You want to soak your peas overnight or  use the quick soak method on the package. 

Next Dust the neck bones and put them on the MES.  250 degrees for 4 hours should do it. 

Magic Bean Dust from the recipe above. 

After 4 hours in the smoke the neck bones look and smell awesome!

All the spices and ingredients, bones go into the pea pot. Fill with beef broth and enough water to cover the peas by one inch. 

Bring to a boil... Then turn down the heat to a slow simmer.  Simmer for 2 hours. Then pull the neck bone from the pot.  Shred the meat off the bone and return the meat to the pot.  Give the bone to the dog. 

Happy New Year Folks! 

Enjoy!

b

Last edited:
Good luck will surely follow you all year long...   
2thumbs.gif

Meaty neck bones the meat is sweet.I normally use Lima bean for this Thanks for sharing

Richie

points.gif

Meaty neck bones the meat is sweet.I normally use Lima bean for this Thanks for sharing

Richie

points.gif
Oh yeah... I'll have to try that.  Down here the Lima is called Butter Bean.  Love em.   Thanks for the point Richie!  And Happy New Year! b

Brian, I need all the luck I can get! Gonna get my peas on soon! About midnight:03, the bride and I shall dine on black eye peas, roasted cabbage, and pork spares!

Too late today, but I bookmarked this for future use!

:points: for the recipe! Gracias!

Brian, I need all the luck I can get! Gonna get my peas on soon! About midnight:03, the bride and I shall dine on black eye peas, roasted cabbage, and pork spares!

Too late today, but I bookmarked this for future use!

points.gif
for the recipe! Gracias!
Thanks for checking in my good friend.  I know you've got a house full due to the storm aftermath.  Thanks for the point.  Happy New Year! 

Looks good Brian, set an extra plate   Happy New Year !!  
points1.png

Gary

I am outta hocks too I think, but still have a few cured smoked trotters. Going in with the big guns tomorrow. Pork crown rib, sweet taters, blackeye'd susies, cabbage and corn bread. 

BTW the cabage and peas are cooking now for a heat up tomorrow. I just realized gonna doe crown rib in MES40, I have not replaced the element in the MES30 yet....Grrrr....

BUT I get to try out that new warped tube pellet holder.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky