Need a spicy cajun seasoning recommendation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Last night grilled loin steak. Grill is Weber spirit 3 burner. Grill was at 400f.

Steak was tasty well done but wasn't juicy and tender. Removed it when internal meat was 165f ....

How to get a steak that is well cooked yet tender and juicy in a gas grill?
Brine along with rest is your best hope.
I do it by (lightly) sprinkling salt on all exterior surfaces, rub it to disperse, then wrap in plastic. Rest for a couple hours in the fridge. You don't have to get carried away with the salt to get amazing results.

I pull my steak at 130-140° (depends on the cut) and rest for ~5 minutes.
I pull wife's steak at 155-160° and rest the same. She doesn't like pink.

Easy fix...remove the meat when the IT hits 150-155°F. Rest a few minutes and eat.

Chris, What 1950's cookbook you getting them temps from?
The latest charts, with slight variation, sets meat doneness temps as follows...
110-115 Blue or Pitt Rare
120-125 Rare
130-135 Med/Rare
140-145 Medium
150-155 Med/Well
160-165 Well Done
I shoot for the first number and carryover gives me the second...JJ

You can find Emeril's "Essence" recipe on the internet. We use it often. I don't have it handy or I'd post it.

Love this Stuff:

Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning

Mix up a batch of this seasoning and keep it on hand for giving just about any savory dish a "kicked-up" flavor.

• Yield: About 2/3 cup

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme

Steak came out great Sunday after i pulled out at 140f.... juicy and tender. Thx!

Some people use lime juice, and also meat tenderizer powder.... do they do anything that a good mixed rub with lil vinegar doesn't overnight?

Also anyway to slow cook in a grill for steak, chicken...? what's the outcome say after an hour at say 160f grill temp?!

Any advantage of slow cooking in a gas grill? (Other than wrapping ribs in foil)

Any way we can get fully cooked well done steak that's also tender?

Thx much

Easy fix...remove the meat when the IT hits 150-155°F. Rest a few minutes and eat.

Chris, What 1950's cookbook you getting them temps from?
The latest charts, with slight variation, sets meat doneness temps as follows...
110-115 Blue or Pitt Rare
120-125 Rare
130-135 Med/Rare
140-145 Medium
150-155 Med/Well
160-165 Well Done
I shoot for the first number and carryover gives me the second...JJ

Are these numbers only for beef steak or even pork chops?

Btw, your cajun mix came out great though i didn't have celery seeds or powder, mustard powder, chili powder....
I added more cumin and cayenne it was great thx!

Last edited:
I’ve used Paul Prudhomme’s Blackened Redfish Magic on everything including steak, pork, and chicken. It is a staple at our house.

We also are big fans of any Paul Prudhomme’s seasoning...especially their salmon seasoning which we also use on pork

Are these numbers only for beef steak or even pork chops?

Btw, your cajun mix came out great though i didn't have celery seeds or powder, mustard powder, chili powder....
I added more cumin and cayenne it was great thx!

Yes...Those Temps are Standard for any Meat...JJ

"Any way we can get fully cooked well done steak that's also tender? "

Don't over cook it! 165 is for pork & chicken.

So , the idea is:

Throw steak on a very hot grill 500f or over...and check temp at various ends of meat after few min or...

Throw steak on a not so hot grill( 300f) and repeat the same?

And i want juicy tender steak (medium rare)... also noticed big pieces of steak have different tenderness once one end was juicy one was hard

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky