Need a spicy cajun seasoning recommendation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

miserkris

Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Hello everyone ,

What is the spicy flavorful Cajun seasoning mix that you can recommend for grilling chicken or steak?

Need the same in creole seasoning...
(They both are similar right)

I've tried slap ya mama and it was spicy and nice!
Thx
Kris

Make your own! Then you control the heat. This is what I came up with after studying Cajun and Creole Spice recipes...JJ

Cajun Rib Tickler

1C Tubinado or Dried Brown Sugar*
1/4C Paprika**
2T Kosher Salt
2T Garlic Powder
2T Onion Powder
2T Mustard Powder
2T Chili Powder
2tsp Black Pepper
1-2tsp Cayenne
2tsp Dry Oregano
2tsp Dry Thyme
2tsp Cry Celery Flakes
1tsp Celery Seed
Optional: 2tsp White Pepper
Grind the Oregano, Thyme, Celery Flake and Seed. Mix all and store in air tight container, up to 3 months...

Notes...* Leave out the Sugar for a Cajun Blackening Spice or All Purpose Seasoning. For Blackening meat or fish...Spinkle a lot or a little, on whatever meat, dip in melted Butter or Olive oil and SEAR in a very hot pan until cooked to your desired IT.
BLACKENING DOES NOT MEAN BURNT.
** If you wish you can use Smoked Paprika in the recipe. This will give a seasoning that will add some "Smokey flavor" to Grilled, Sauteed, Fried or Roasted meat, not just stuff you smoke.

Mix and store in an air tight container...

Tony C's is another good choice.

You might want to get the Salt Free...I like salt and Tony's Original was Too Much for me. By the time I got the right Spice level, the food was too salty to eat. Just my taste I guess...JJ

You might want to get the Salt Free...I like salt and Tony's Original was Too Much for me. By the time I got the right Spice level, the food was too salty to eat. Just my taste I guess...JJ
I've never seen the salt free version. I'm going to have to check that out. Thanks JJ.

Dave

I'm as far north from Louisiana as you can find.
BUT, I do know there is a difference between Cajun and Creole and even regional recipes of both.
Some say there is no aromatic herbs in Cajun and I don't know the true story.
Creole has always been very flavored with the aromatics

Reactions: zwiller
I'm with JJ Tony's original is way to salty.

Chris

Thanks everyone I agree that Tony's cacheere was way too salty that's why I say I changed to slap Ya Mama... which is a good balance between heat and salt.

I'll try the recommendations in this list thank you

Reactions: gmc2003
I'm glad you posted this. I wanted to give JJs recipe a shot, but forgot all about it. I've seen slap ya mama before and I was hesitant to try it because of my experience with Tony's. I'll give that a shot also.

Chris

Foam can give more detail, but basically...
Creole is City Food. More refined with prime ingredients. Your not likely going to see a recipe for Creole Pigs Tails and Chitterlins. It makes a much bigger use of Tomatoes in sauces, and recipes, along with Celery, Pepper and Onions. Creole is not necessarily Spicy Hot. A much bigger variety of Herbs, Parsley, Rosemary, Basil, Bay Leaf, Thyme and Oregano are most common, so is the use of Paprika.

Cajun Food is Country Cookin'! Supper is just as likely to be what Poppa, Shot that morning as Store Bought Meat. That don't happen everywhere, but you get the picture.
While there are some use of Herbs, Bay Leaf, Parsley, Thyme and Oregano, SPICES are the mainstay. Black and White Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Mustard, Dry Garlic, Dried Onion and Paprika. The Holy Trinity of Onion, Celery and Green Bell Pepper is usually there along with Fresh Garlic and Green Onions.
My Cajun Rib Tickler, is not exceptionally hot but likely more than your average Kid can handle. If you need more mild, skip the Cayenne... Need to go full on, add 2 teaspoons White Pepper and 2 tsp Cayenne...JJ

I use Emerils essence once in a while. The recipe is:
  1. 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika.
  2. 2 tablespoons salt.
  3. 2 tablespoons garlic powder.
  4. 1 tablespoon black pepper.
  5. 1 tablespoon onion powder.
  6. 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper.
  7. 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano.
  8. 1 tablespoon dried thyme.
Another vote for Slap ya mama. I've seen Tony's salt free at the store. Haven't tried that yet.

Thx JJ I'll save the recipe.

Anyone looking for a very hot yet flavorful sauce try Trinidad moruga pepper sauce, i add 1:5 to any bbq sauce it's heavenly. Even kids love it..... lasts long in fridge honestly no sane microbe will dare enter it

I'll give a second vote for Slap Your Mama, it's a lot less salty than Tony's. I would also recommend Konriko Chipotle. It's another all purpose that has a nice heat and flavor from the chipotle.

Reactions: miserkris
Thx to all.

I normally only grill chicken drums/ thigh.
Last night grilled loin steak. Grill is Weber spirit 3 burner. Grill was at 400f.

Steak was tasty well done but wasn't juicy and tender. Removed it when internal meat was 165f ....

How to get a steak that is well cooked yet tender and juicy in a gas grill?

If you take your steak off the grill at these temps the carry over will be approximately 5*. So if your shooting for a rare steak then remove it between 130 and 135*. Let it rest and the final temp will be around 135 to 140*.
Once you go above Med your looking at a tougher bite.

Rare = 130 to 135*
Med Rare = 140*
Med = 155*
Well done 165*

Reverse sear is a perfect way to achieve a tasty steak with some char.

Chris

Reactions: miserkris
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky