Shrimp Etouffee/Creole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I made etouffe last weekend. I have never put sausage in mine before. However your dish looks great, and I want some.
I had to stop making Jambalaya, I was the only one eating it, and I started to resemble Paul Prudhomme in body shape.
I resemble that remark lol 😆

Reactions: kelbro
Not looking to poke the bear, but... :emoji_smiling_imp:
You say authentic Etouffee uses a blonde or med brown roux, uses little tomato and no tomato paste or sauce.
But the authentic Etouffee recipe utilizes both tomatoes and tomato sauce. Granted not much, but like Ragu, it's in there.
And it says to cook the roux white, not blonde or medium brown roux.
And on top of that it adds the flour to the trinity after the tomato and tomato sauce has been added, so how is the cook to get a white roux much less blonde or otherwise.
You're gonna get a pink something that isn't roux.
The white roux has to do with how long the roux is cooked, not what is added to it to color it...

Reactions: smokebuzz
Not looking to poke the bear, but... :emoji_smiling_imp:
The guideline I posted are the classical differences. Now I realize in the modern world today that there has been a lot of crossover and bastardization of the classical cajun dishes....I mean-that is how pastalaya was invented....

The Cajuns are no longer the poor swamp people, and the Creoles are not necessarily 'well off'....but that is the way it was, and that influenced the cuisine. Cajuns rarely ever made a butter roux, but the creoles had lots of butter on hand on the plantations..

Call it what you will...Where do the line form for a heaping bowl?

Jim

I made etouffe last weekend. I have never put sausage in mine before. However your dish looks great, and I want some.
I had to stop making Jambalaya, I was the only one eating it, and I started to resemble Paul Prudhomme in body shape.

Looks great Charles . Yup , that stomper works great on the tomatoes .
Nice work bud !
Thanks Jim!! My dish was a hybrid, I guess. It's what happens when there's too many cooks in the kitchen...🤣🤣
That looks phenomenal man… slap a bib on me… I’d love a bowl of that! YUM!
I appreciate your kind words very much...
Call it what you want. To this Yankee it makes no difference no how. I'd love me a bowl of that Charles

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you, Chris!!
Etoufee, Creole, Cajun, or Cat Chit, I'll take a bowl.
Looks mighty tasty Charles!
It turned out pretty good, I think. Thank you...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky