Gumbo...long with lots of pics...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Being from south Louisiana im a bit of a gumbo snob. Imagine the Texas folks arguing about beans in the chili... haha. Couple comments.... Nice shrimp... I just got some fresh off the boat myself within past 2 weeks. Man, 15 min on the roux? My mammie would slap me on the hands with her wooden spoon if i stopped at 15 min.... needs to be closer to 45 min to an hour on medium/low heat. Any of those 2 colors on the right side of that pic. Ditch the tomatos. Tomatos have no place in gumbo, changes the dish into something else entirely. Use your shrimp head and shells and make your own shrimp stock instead of using chicken stock. Makes a world of difference. I like the grilling of the meat before adding to pot, gives some extra flavor. Let all that simmer on "bloop bloop" mode for several hours to let all that flavor develop and meld together. Put the green onions and shrimp in the pot about 10-15 min before ready to eat. Dont take long to cook shrimp. Okra, love love love it. I love okra anyway you cook it. Cooking it on the side will let the slime release before putting in pot, although personally the slime doenst bother me. Regarding file'.... im not real big on it... i can take it or leave it, kinda have to be in the mood for it. But everyone has their own regional touch to all sorts of dishes. Good job.

Looks incredible! Great work! I was just thinking I’d like to have a over go at this, the weather is here for it!

Being from south Louisiana im a bit of a gumbo snob. Imagine the Texas folks arguing about beans in the chili... haha. Couple comments.... Nice shrimp... I just got some fresh off the boat myself within past 2 weeks. Man, 15 min on the roux? My mammie would slap me on the hands with her wooden spoon if i stopped at 15 min.... needs to be closer to 45 min to an hour on medium/low heat. Any of those 2 colors on the right side of that pic. Ditch the tomatos. Tomatos have no place in gumbo, changes the dish into something else entirely. Use your shrimp head and shells and make your own shrimp stock instead of using chicken stock. Makes a world of difference. I like the grilling of the meat before adding to pot, gives some extra flavor. Let all that simmer on "bloop bloop" mode for several hours to let all that flavor develop and meld together. Put the green onions and shrimp in the pot about 10-15 min before ready to eat. Dont take long to cook shrimp. Okra, love love love it. I love okra anyway you cook it. Cooking it on the side will let the slime release before putting in pot, although personally the slime doenst bother me. Regarding file'.... im not real big on it... i can take it or leave it, kinda have to be in the mood for it. But everyone has their own regional touch to all sorts of dishes. Good job.
Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky