My "Outdoor" Kitchen Tour

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks guys, will answer questions as I can .. So first , here’s a larger panned out view that shows the relationship to the terrace and pool . When we first designed it , I wanted a courtyard feel sort of, so adjacent the space is a outdoor living room and fireplace and of course the pool. We are able to place (12), 8 top round tables in this area as well for events/dinners and serve directly out of this kitchen .

The kitchen can still be ‘outdoor’ by opening up the Marvin lift and slide doors as they disappear into a pocket in the wall, along for a 12’ or so wide opening into the cooking space. It’s a nice because the floor has no threshold to step over or trip over .

View attachment 643437

Beautiful layout. The front facing view of the marsh land? looks so inviting. Just put me in the "ourdoor kitchen" and I'd be a happy camper. I'm use to sleeping on the ground in an old Army sleeping bag. What do you want me to prepare? I have a great 10 spice kielbasa and a LOT of European wurst recipes!

Reactions: SCBBQ
Beautiful layout. The front facing view of the marsh land? looks so inviting. Just put me in the "ourdoor kitchen" and I'd be a happy camper. I'm use to sleeping on the ground in an old Army sleeping bag. What do you want me to prepare? I have a great 10 spice kielbasa and a LOT of European wurst recipes!

Thanks, the back faces the wetlands and ocean - appreciate the compliments!

Here's a little more on the island...

On the back side, we have a 2 basket, gas fryer . And a braising pan/tilt skillet.

Not a lot to say about the fryer, it works as expected. I do like that it's gas, a huge improvement over my home fryer that takes forever to recover on temps.

IMG_5694.jpeg

And now the tilt skillet . I love this piece. Where to start..?!

So for those not familiar, it's a big pan that can be used for liquids or like a flat top.

Here's a few pics.

IMG_5695.jpeg

IMG_5696.jpeg

It holds up to 30 gallons of anything.

IMG_5697.jpeg

I use it for tons of soups, jambalaya, Bolognese, etc.

You could also use it like a flat top and cook a ton of bacon, or eggs, or pancakes, if you have a big crowd. Stir fry veggies for 100 people? No problem with this machine.

Beautiful fryer and I've never seen or heard of a tilt skillet, that looks amazing and useful for many things!!

Here's a few jambalaya pics . To start, I'll blacken the chicken in butter in the pan, add sausage, and then remove and fill with rice / water. I add the veggies closer to the end. Anyone know who this guy is?
Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.35.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.35.30 PM.png

Folding the diced chicken and sausage in after rice is started.

In terms of amounts, I'll usually do around 30 pounds of chicken and 20 pounds of sausage in a batch.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.16.12 PM.png

Sauces, soups are really fun to make. A cold winter Sunday goes by fast when I make a 30 gallon batch of soup. WIll cook it literally all day and not finish up until 10-11 PM.

For a school fundraiser a couple years back we cooked 150 gallons of "Bolognese diablo" for 1100 people .

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.20.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.22.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.20.05 PM.png

In case anyone not familiar wants to see why it's called a tilt skillet. ..

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.22.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.22.57 PM.png
IMG_5698.jpeg

Reactions: Wurstmeister
And last, I'm glad it's electric.. the preferred heat source for these.. makes it easier to control temps. The thermostat works well except the relay is fairly loud turning it on and off all the time. You drown it out with music and friends pretty easy, though.

That is an amazing space very nice

I saw you didn't spare the budget when I saw the "Vulcan" tag. I love their products.
When I saw how CLEAN everything stays my thought was this is a trophy kitchen.
Photos of in use convinced me this is the real deal.

Reactions: indaswamp
I'm assuming the floor has a drain and you can just wash the whole kitchen down with a hose ??
Well yes and no… it does have several drains and gave the tile guy a hard time trying to pitch angles with big tiles but they are there … I originally thought we’d just hose floors down like you said but in the end it doesn’t really work here though. Makes a bigger mess than it fixes, so we have our cleaning methods that work .

Adjacent the island on the left is the area I keep some beverage stuff. Ice maker, drink cooler for sodas and beers, big drink blender for daiquiris, Pina coladas (this is next to the pool, right!?)
Much bigger full size bar just downstairs...

IMG_5705.jpeg

IMG_5704.jpeg

IMG_5703.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky