• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My bird and pics of the other stuff

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
I cured a 21 pound bird in Pop's brine for 6 days and then smoked it at 250 until it was done. Everyone in the family loves how this ends up tasting!

My bride made deviled eggs, homemade Mac and cheese, and a couple of pies. My 11 year old nephew made the pork loin all on his own.

All the other stuff was brought by family members.

donegotfat

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 16, 2016
It all looks AWESOME!

I have been craving deviled eggs all day! We had plans of making some, but sadly we realized that we were out of eggs far too late..

On the turkey, was it semi close to the taste of ham being you cured it? Or did you change the flavor?

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
I cured a 21 pound bird in Pop's brine for 6 days and then smoked it at 250 until it was done. Everyone in the family loves how this ends up tasting!

My bride made deviled eggs, homemade Mac and cheese, and a couple of pies. My 11 year old nephew made the pork loin all on his own.

All the other stuff was brought by family members.

Wow, what a nice spread, looks great.

Was the turkey wrapped in cheesecloth, interesting pattern on it's skin.
ETA: Yeah, I can see the cloth now, interesting cooking technique that I've yet to try.

Point for the technique and variety.

Last edited:

seenred

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Feb 9, 2009
Looks like a beautiful meal Cranky...Point!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Red

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 3, 2013
It don't get much better than that brother.  Point!

b

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
It all looks AWESOME!
I have been craving deviled eggs all day! We had plans of making some, but sadly we realized that we were out of eggs far too late.. :devil:
On the turkey, was it semi close to the taste of ham being you cured it? Or did you change the flavor?
My bride buys her eggs 2 weeks in advance since she finds they peel easier when they are older. Me and the boys know that we'll be severely injured if we mess with those eggs!

As for the flavor of the turkey, oh yes, the taste is truly a hammy flavored turkey! Try doing it with a chicken first, you'll love it!

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Wow, what a nice spread, looks great.

Was the turkey wrapped in cheesecloth, interesting pattern on it's skin.
ETA: Yeah, I can see the cloth now, interesting cooking technique that I've yet to try.

Point for the technique and variety.
I hang my birds in ham bags when I smoke them. The bags are like cheese cloth, just a little more stretchy. I love what they do to the skin of the birds.

Here's a link to what the bags look like in action.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/238208/in-laws-21-pound-turkey-is-done

Last edited:

redheelerdog

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 4, 2011
Looks great CB, looking at those pics made me hungry all over again!

Point

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Everything looks delicious Charlie!

Nice job!

Point!

Al

joe black

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 25, 2015
Man, Charlie....That's an awesome looking spread. Where does the line start for left overs? I'm going back to a brine for my next turkey. I was short on time this year and even my 12 year old grandson said it was good, but not as good as last year.

I really liked the color on your bird, Joe. :points:

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Charley that looks great,a lot of happy tummies I bet.

Richie

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013
I had to let my belt out 2 notches after looking at the pictures...... 

I know it was a great gathering and the groceries.............. must have been enjoyed by all.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Beautiful spread Cranky. I hope you had a great thanksgiving!

Disco

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011
sorry I missed this great job - point,,,, did you inject it at all??? I am looking to do my first one for christmas,,, If I brine do I have to inject??? 

DS

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
sorry I missed this great job - point,,,, did you inject it at all??? I am looking to do my first one for christmas,,, If I brine do I have to inject??? 

DS
Howdy!

I used Pop's curing brine for this bird and I did inject the curing brine into the legs, thighs, and breast so it could cure from the inside out.

I use zero seasoning on the bird but people always ask what I used to season it with.

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Nice job Charlie.  Love the color and the skin pattern on the bird.

And I REALLY LOVE devilled eggs!!!

Great that your nephew smoked the loin.  Obviously he's getting some good training.  Nice to see.

Gary

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.