My bird and pics of the other stuff

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
I cured a 21 pound bird in Pop's brine for 6 days and then smoked it at 250 until it was done. Everyone in the family loves how this ends up tasting!

My bride made deviled eggs, homemade Mac and cheese, and a couple of pies. My 11 year old nephew made the pork loin all on his own.

All the other stuff was brought by family members.

It all looks AWESOME!

I have been craving deviled eggs all day! We had plans of making some, but sadly we realized that we were out of eggs far too late..
devil.gif

On the turkey, was it semi close to the taste of ham being you cured it? Or did you change the flavor?

I cured a 21 pound bird in Pop's brine for 6 days and then smoked it at 250 until it was done. Everyone in the family loves how this ends up tasting!

My bride made deviled eggs, homemade Mac and cheese, and a couple of pies. My 11 year old nephew made the pork loin all on his own.

All the other stuff was brought by family members.

Wow, what a nice spread, looks great.

Was the turkey wrapped in cheesecloth, interesting pattern on it's skin.
ETA: Yeah, I can see the cloth now, interesting cooking technique that I've yet to try.

Point for the technique and variety.

Last edited:
It all looks AWESOME!
I have been craving deviled eggs all day! We had plans of making some, but sadly we realized that we were out of eggs far too late.. :devil:
On the turkey, was it semi close to the taste of ham being you cured it? Or did you change the flavor?

My bride buys her eggs 2 weeks in advance since she finds they peel easier when they are older. Me and the boys know that we'll be severely injured if we mess with those eggs!

As for the flavor of the turkey, oh yes, the taste is truly a hammy flavored turkey! Try doing it with a chicken first, you'll love it!

Wow, what a nice spread, looks great.

Was the turkey wrapped in cheesecloth, interesting pattern on it's skin.
ETA: Yeah, I can see the cloth now, interesting cooking technique that I've yet to try.

Point for the technique and variety.

I hang my birds in ham bags when I smoke them. The bags are like cheese cloth, just a little more stretchy. I love what they do to the skin of the birds.

Here's a link to what the bags look like in action.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/238208/in-laws-21-pound-turkey-is-done

Last edited:
Man, Charlie....That's an awesome looking spread. Where does the line start for left overs? I'm going back to a brine for my next turkey. I was short on time this year and even my 12 year old grandson said it was good, but not as good as last year.

I really liked the color on your bird, Joe. :points:

sorry I missed this great job - point,,,, did you inject it at all??? I am looking to do my first one for christmas,,, If I brine do I have to inject??? 

DS

sorry I missed this great job - point,,,, did you inject it at all??? I am looking to do my first one for christmas,,, If I brine do I have to inject??? 

DS

Howdy!

I used Pop's curing brine for this bird and I did inject the curing brine into the legs, thighs, and breast so it could cure from the inside out.

I use zero seasoning on the bird but people always ask what I used to season it with.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky