Muffaletta a N'alin's Tradition..........

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I am stopping in to brag, I am sorry I know better than to taunt those without but...........

OMG.... OMG ..... OMG..... Now Thats a New Orlean's sammie!

It's called a muffaletta, but it should be called a bite of heaven. I made this one. Why would I post it on Cured meats and sausages you ask? Well, it has ham, mortadella, Hard salami, loads of olive salad and a couple cheeses.

Ah yes I can see by your inquiring look you noticed the plastic wrap and are considering questioning the validity of my home made statement. Well to get a good muffaletta sammie, you make it ahead of time and wrap in paper so that all those great flavors can marry up and the oils from the olive salad can permeate the bread...... Oh Oh Oh it good!

We had Zapp's chips and a cold IBC cherry, but I took the picture before it was all ready because I knew there would be no time for pictures when it was plated.

I wish I could share!

And **Poof**, and 1/2  a loaf is GONE!!

Grrrrr,..... bad picture!

It makes it look soooo small.... its NOT!

Just wanted to show ya what one looks like.

They are a slice of Heaven! In my current local, the closest thing to Mortadella is Bologna or Olive Loaf and a handful of Pistachios. 
th_crybaby2.gif
Did you make your own Olive Salad?...JJ

It looks delicious Kevin!

What kind of bun do you use for it!

It really looks like something I would like to make.

Point!

Al

That's looks amazing. Could go for a hunk right now. The muffaletta is one of my favorite things on earth. Luckily in NY we have access to good Italian cold cuts and bread so it is possible to recreate them which I have on occasion. As for the olive salad, I have always used jarred as it seems like an awful lot of chopping and I'm a bit lazy haha

Last edited:

They are a slice of Heaven! In my current local, the closest thing to Mortadella is Bologna or Olive Loaf and a handful of Pistachios. 
th_crybaby2.gif
Did you make your own Olive Salad?...JJ
I know whats coming.............

Big Queen sized pimento stuffed green olives

Mash gently with a cleaver blade or knife side

Calamari olives

Garlic

Hot pickled cauliflower

Celery

Carrots

Spicy peppers

Cocktail onions

Capers

Course chop above

Oregano

Basil

Cracked black

Celery seed

Red wine vinegar

Light Olive oil to completely cover

Or

A jar of Italian Mix, Giardiniera

Add olives of your choice (a good local salad bar should have a selection these days, here most good grocery deli's have a great salad bar)

Or

Central Grocery olive salad

It looks delicious Kevin!

What kind of bun do you use for it!

It really looks like something I would like to make.

Point!

Al
No, I didn't make the bread. here it's refered to as a muffalatta loaf.  its basically a crusty peasant loaf about needs to be 12 inches in dia, and its always got sesame seeds on top.

In New Orleans they make these the night before, bag 'em and tag 'em and stack 'em up on the butchers block in the back so folks can walk by and pick one up with your groceries or right next to the cash register w/ a rack of bagged chips.. Serves two purposes. Folks who have only 30 mins breaks in New Orleans can dash in and out, and it allows time for the oils and flavors to permeate through out the sandwich.

That's looks amazing. Could go for a hunk right now. The muffaletta is one of my favorite things on earth. Luckily in NY we have access to good Italian cold cuts and bread so it is possible to recreate them which I have on occasion. As for the olive salad, I have always used jarred as it seems like an awful lot of chopping and I'm a bit lazy haha
And I completely understand that. The little old ladies in New Orleans were as loyal to their olive salad companies as they were to mayo and mustards....LOL

Thanks Foamheart, it's been forever since I had muffuletta. Adding to the list

I know whats coming.............

Big Queen sized pimento stuffed green olives
Mash gently with a cleaver blade or knife side

Calamari olives
Garlic
Hot pickled cauliflower
Celery
Carrots
Spicy peppers
Cocktail onions
Capers

Course chop above

Oregano
Basil
Cracked black
Celery seed

Red wine vinegar
Light Olive oil to completely cover

Or
A jar of Italian Mix, Giardiniera
Add olives of your choice (a good local salad bar should have a selection these days, here most good grocery deli's have a great salad bar)

Or
Central Grocery olive salad

I had one over the weekend, purchased from D'Martinos.  $16.50 for a 12"!  Never tried making my own.  Liuzza's has a Frenchaletta, it's on a poor-boy loaf!  Tasty!  Yours looks amazing Kevin!  
points1.png

Mike

I've heard the name but never seen one. Points for educating me!

Disco
Disco I never heard of Montreal meat and learned something special! You can bake, the rest is readily available if you nake the salad. Find not, get some brougth in on the next dog sled.

Its really an amazing taste combo. I bet that once SWMBO'd tastes one, it will be something you'll start temping company with. Sometimes the simplest things are best.

Oh and Thanks.

Looks great Foam!

I love a good muffuletta, but I not to sure I've ever had one with "calamari olives"!!!!

Point!
Thats the cajun pronunciation for Kalamata..... They are my favorites! I did have a fried calamari po-boy once. Guys laughed at me and said I was eating the bait. LOL

Thanks Case

I had one over the weekend, purchased from D'Martinos.  $16.50 for a 12"!  Never tried making my own.  Liuzza's has a Frenchaletta, it's on a poor-boy loaf!  Tasty!  Yours looks amazing Kevin!  
points1.png

Mike
There used to be the best little bakery shop across from the French Market, the open air market vice the coffee and begniets. Been a long long time since I was down on the river there. But with the bread you can get the the cold cuts at any butcher shop. Enjoy it when you find a good one and try some of the salami's and cheese to find that taste you best like. Its half the fun of making one. Talk with the butcher about his fermented meats, find out if he makes any he sells, There really is a huge difference in the . They are as different as wines and cheeses.

Build a salad, that one above is a good reference point.  I had forgotten how good they were! I still have another fresh muffalata loaf, enough meat cheese and olive salad to make another! 

Thanks.... Hey in N'awlins there is plenty of good reasons to not need to build your own. LOL

Awesome muff brother Kev. Wish we could get that bread up here. Folks in N Texas just don't want to turn the oven up hot enough.

Last edited:

Disco I never heard of Montreal meat and learned something special! You can bake, the rest is readily available if you nake the salad. Find not, get some brougth in on the next dog sled.

Its really an amazing taste combo. I bet that once SWMBO'd tastes one, it will be something you'll start temping company with. Sometimes the simplest things are best.

Oh and Thanks.
Har! SWMBO is giving me a hard time about filling the freezer. Maybe this will mollify her!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky