Mothers Day Bagels

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bregent

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 1, 2014
Made the dough Saturday night and my son shaped them. Boiled and baked Sunday morning for a nice breakfast. Didn't degass as much as I should so they were a bit airy but still had a nice chew.

bagel1.jpg
bagel2.jpg
bagel3.jpg
bagel4.jpg
bagel5.jpg
bagel7.jpg
bagel6.jpg

Looks great! Do you have a recipe for bagels you can share? I'm going to make homemade focaccia bread for the 1st time soon. In addition to pizza, I really enjoy trying to make bread, but only did a few loaves of pretty plain bread and some bread bowls so far.

Here's my current formula and workflow

Bread Flour (100%): 495.66 g | 17.48 oz
Ice Water (55%): 272.61 g | 9.62 oz
Inst. Dry Yeast (0.7%): 3.47 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.15 tsp
Salt (2.25%): 11.15 g | 0.39 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.32 tsp
Non-Diastatic Barley Malt Syrup (2%): 9.91 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.42 tsp
Low Diastatic Malt Powder (1%): 4.96 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.98 tsp
Total (160.95%): 797.77 g | 28.14 oz | 1.76 lbs
Single Ball: 99.72 g | 3.52 oz

Mixing and forming
• Put in all the dry ingredients into food processor and pulse a few times to mix.
• Whisk the malt syrup into the water and then slowly pour the water into the spout while the processor runs.
• Stop when it turns into a semblance of a ball and then hand knead for a minutes or so.
• Cover and wait 10 minutes and knead again.
• Place in a covered bowl for about 1 1/4 hours until it doubles.
• Divide into 8 equal portion and ball
• Wait 10 minutes for the dough to relax
• Degas and shape into bagels
• Place on PAM sprayed silicon mat, cover with plastic wrap and into the fridge overnight

Baking
• Preheat oven to 450 with rack in middle position
• Boil a large pot of water with 2 tablespoons malt syrup, 1 tablespoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt
• Boil 4 at a time for 1 1/2 minutes, flipping 1/2 way through
• Remove from pot and onto wire rack and let cool for a minute. Press into bowl containing your toppings
• Place bagels topping side up on silicon mat in shallow sheet pan.
• Bake at 450 for 14 minutes or until golden brown

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky