Mothers Day Bagels

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bregent

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 1, 2014
Made the dough Saturday night and my son shaped them. Boiled and baked Sunday morning for a nice breakfast. Didn't degass as much as I should so they were a bit airy but still had a nice chew.

bagel1.jpg
bagel2.jpg
bagel3.jpg
bagel4.jpg
bagel5.jpg
bagel7.jpg
bagel6.jpg

Looks great! Do you have a recipe for bagels you can share? I'm going to make homemade focaccia bread for the 1st time soon. In addition to pizza, I really enjoy trying to make bread, but only did a few loaves of pretty plain bread and some bread bowls so far.

Here's my current formula and workflow

Bread Flour (100%): 495.66 g | 17.48 oz
Ice Water (55%): 272.61 g | 9.62 oz
Inst. Dry Yeast (0.7%): 3.47 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.15 tsp
Salt (2.25%): 11.15 g | 0.39 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.32 tsp
Non-Diastatic Barley Malt Syrup (2%): 9.91 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.42 tsp
Low Diastatic Malt Powder (1%): 4.96 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.98 tsp
Total (160.95%): 797.77 g | 28.14 oz | 1.76 lbs
Single Ball: 99.72 g | 3.52 oz

Mixing and forming
• Put in all the dry ingredients into food processor and pulse a few times to mix.
• Whisk the malt syrup into the water and then slowly pour the water into the spout while the processor runs.
• Stop when it turns into a semblance of a ball and then hand knead for a minutes or so.
• Cover and wait 10 minutes and knead again.
• Place in a covered bowl for about 1 1/4 hours until it doubles.
• Divide into 8 equal portion and ball
• Wait 10 minutes for the dough to relax
• Degas and shape into bagels
• Place on PAM sprayed silicon mat, cover with plastic wrap and into the fridge overnight

Baking
• Preheat oven to 450 with rack in middle position
• Boil a large pot of water with 2 tablespoons malt syrup, 1 tablespoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt
• Boil 4 at a time for 1 1/2 minutes, flipping 1/2 way through
• Remove from pot and onto wire rack and let cool for a minute. Press into bowl containing your toppings
• Place bagels topping side up on silicon mat in shallow sheet pan.
• Bake at 450 for 14 minutes or until golden brown

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky