More Single Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Said I was gonna so here we go. These were supposed to go on the spinner but SmokinAl SmokinAl went and posted up his killer vortex ribs so I was moved to try the singles finally.

These were not so good looking out of the package. Smithfield musta been slipping that day.

20240523_165034.jpg

All rubbed up ready to hit the kettle.

20240523_174835.jpg

Fire in the hole! Cherry and pecan wood along with cowboy briquettes.

20240523_172324.jpg

Tossed these on and covered them for about 20 minutes then flipped. I think total cook time was 40-45 minutes.

20240523_174955.jpg

Next up some jerk Q sauce I had in the pantry. Unfortunately it wasn't as spicy as I thought it should be. Good flavor, but next time I'll stick with the walkerwoods or however you spell it.

20240523_183519.jpg

Done! nice and probe tender. Thermapen said high 190's and a few over 200.

20240523_184415.jpg

Messy plate shot with the leftover field peas from the chorizo cook the day before.

20240523_190423.jpg

I love these ...

20240524_044346.jpg

I'm 100% sold on these. I almost feel like life has cheated me all these years by not bringing this to my attention at a much younger age. I see absolutely no reason to do baby backs any other way.

Thanks for looking and let's have a great Memorial day weekend. Please pause and think about those who gave all.

I can see a package of Bb's in the shopping cart next time we go. Those look great! I want to look for those beans too.

Reactions: mr_whipple
Great looking ribs. Already got them in shopping list for Kroger. Gonna run some tomorrow. And I love that brand also. And another favorite is Glory Brand. Both are darn good straight out the can. Bryce wont eat peas/beans says they taste like dirt (🤷‍♂️) so I get them all to myself.

Jim

They look good, now you guys got me thinking if I fire the pitboss up to 500 degrees if that would work. May have to give it a shot.

Winner Winner... Single Rib Dinner ... And with out the vortex... SO... those of you that don't have the vortex now knows it can be done without one...

Greart Job...
Thanks!

I can see a package of Bb's in the shopping cart next time we go. Those look great! I want to look for those beans too.

I love those beans!

Looks great, definitely gonna have to try single ribs sometime. 👍
Game changer. I don't like FOTB ribs, and these turned out nice and tender with a great pull.

Great looking ribs. Already got them in shopping list for Kroger. Gonna run some tomorrow. And I love that brand also. And another favorite is Glory Brand. Both are darn good straight out the can. Bryce wont eat peas/beans says they taste like dirt (🤷‍♂️) so I get them all to myself.

Jim
Thanks!
I have some Glory stuff in the pantry, especially the turkey flavored greens.

They look good, now you guys got me thinking if I fire the pitboss up to 500 degrees if that would work. May have to give it a shot.

Can't see why not? All you can do is try.

I honestly think this will be the go to rib cooking style for everyone. Single ribs!! Glad to see it can be done without a vortex. I bet you could do them on a gas grill!
Al

I'll say. And ya.. no vortex, but I ran that kettle hot hot hot. I was just thinking about it, and I've done single baby backs before, but they were deep fried. Completely different animal. Again, thanks for posting up the idea!

Reactions: JLinza
Terrific mr_whipple! I definitely have to try these! As much as we like ribs, it'd be nice to be able to do them fast without dragging out the big cabinet smoker. Nicley done! :emoji_thumbsup:

Red
Thank you!

Those look fantastic! Good to know a few of us are finally getting to try them!

Ryan

Reactions: mr_whipple
Those look fantastic! Good to know a few of us are finally getting to try them!

Ryan
Oh man... I had them for breakfast at work this morning.

Looks great ! Great use of the kettle too . That's how I do 90% of my kettle cooks .
Thanks! I love me some kettle food. The spinner is coming out soon. I've been dying to some rotisserie ideas I have in my head.

They look great Chris. and I love Jerk sauce on mine also sometimes.

I do my singles fast and hot on the Barbee often. Or in the smoker.

Not as pretty as a slab, but oh so much flavour with the extra area of coatings and sauces that can be had.

David

They look great Chris. and I love Jerk sauce on mine also sometimes.

I do my singles fast and hot on the Barbee often. Or in the smoker.

Not as pretty as a slab, but oh so much flavour with the extra area of coatings and sauces that can be had.

David
Thanks, David. I didn't care for that jerk but it wasn't in anyway bad.... not sure why I even bought it. I think they look just dandy in singles and taste killer so I'm saying the paradigm has shifted away from the slab in rib land.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Nicely done! Everything looks great! Lots of posts of the single ribs lately. I don't have a kettle but am tempted to do it on my offset and just crank up the heat.

Nicely done! Everything looks great! Lots of posts of the single ribs lately. I don't have a kettle but am tempted to do it on my offset and just crank up the heat.
Do it! I'm gonna try singles in my spinner basket, but I'm wondering about temps and how many I can fit, so that's for another day.

Yes , I have used both Walkers and Grace items , they both have their good and soso products.

I have an other one I found by a Jamaican that now lives around here and sells in the stores. Its not bad either.
But I have been making my own Jerk blend and I love it .

Like I said I love the singles , but a big old slab looks great also.

But you can get more on the grill or smoker as a slab then singles.
For the most part I can get enough singles on the grills that is more then enough to feed our nest of people now.

I think the basket would be great. Does using the basket knock off very much coating on things as it tumbles around,
or is it slow enough that they just kind of slow roll. ( was not sure if your motor is the Binford 7000, lol ) Home improvement reference

David

Yes , I have used both Walkers and Grace items , they both have their good and soso products.

I have an other one I found by a Jamaican that now lives around here and sells in the stores. Its not bad either.
But I have been making my own Jerk blend and I love it .

Like I said I love the singles , but a big old slab looks great also.

But you can get more on the grill or smoker as a slab then singles.
For the most part I can get enough singles on the grills that is more then enough to feed our nest of people now.

I think the basket would be great. Does using the basket knock off very much coating on things as it tumbles around,
or is it slow enough that they just kind of slow roll. ( was not sure if your motor is the Binford 7000, lol ) Home improvement reference

David
I've made jerk in the past and it always comes out better than a jar, I'm just lazy. The basket is kinda small, but it's flat and the way its set up it kinda squeezes the food to not move when its spinning, or anytime for that matter. No Binford tools here, but I wouldn't complain if Heidi were to be hanging around my house... :emoji_wink:

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky