More Scottish eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
My last batch of these was w/bantam eggs but this time they are  regular eggs, tried to go on the small side for the  most part. Steamed for 12 minutes or so as these are fresh eggs and they peel easier  when steamed.

Four pounds of Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, two hot and two mild.

Formed a meatball and then flattened,added egg and reshaped the meatball.Added Jeffs' rub and headed for some smoke

Smoked for about 3 hours at 225* with hickory, tasty and huge ,one will make a good breakfast !

Thanks for looking ! CM

Tasty looking eggs! Do you ever wrap them with bacon,or are you into health food or something?:biggrin:

A bit late to the party, but I'm inspired.  I was looking to do another ham this weekend (not nearly enough leftovers from T-day!), and these might fit just right on the top rack.  

I'm sure sausage drippings won't ruin a ham, right? 
icon_lol.gif

(I'd give points but I still don't really see how!)

Best,

-parx

CM They look great I am doing these soon.Maybe quail eggs for an app thanks for the post. Points

Richie

I am guessing the eggs are fully cooked inside prior to wrapping in the sausage?

These look so wonderful!  I want to make some.  Good to have on hand for a quick breakfast.

I am guessing the eggs are fully cooked inside prior to wrapping in the sausage?

These look so wonderful!  I want to make some.  Good to have on hand for a quick breakfast.
Boiled/steamed to just shy of being true "hard boiled". You want it mostly done and with the whites done enough to hold up to peeling. The yolk with take final set while the sausage is smoked.  If you overheat the yolk, it will give that greenish color and sulfur smell.  Notice how in Crazy Moon's photo with the egg cut in half it is just shy of hard set after smoking the sausage coating.  That is perfect on the finished product (so you want it a little less done than that when wrapping with the sausage).

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
Oh I want these now!  Yes, I was thinking a 6 minute boil, so I could gently peel them and the yolk still runny, then smoke.  I want to use some spicy sausage mixed with regular and someone mentioned brown mustard.... yum!  I think I will make these for xmas morning.

Oh I want these now!  Yes, I was thinking a 6 minute boil, so I could gently peel them and the yolk still runny, then smoke.  I want to use some spicy sausage mixed with regular and someone mentioned brown mustard.... yum!  I think I will make these for xmas morning.

I Know---I know---I'm Late---But I'm Old!!! 
sorry.gif

Looks Great, CM !!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Nice Job, Buddy!!
icon14.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky