• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

More Scottish eggs

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
My last batch of these was w/bantam eggs but this time they are  regular eggs, tried to go on the small side for the  most part. Steamed for 12 minutes or so as these are fresh eggs and they peel easier  when steamed.

Four pounds of Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, two hot and two mild.

Formed a meatball and then flattened,added egg and reshaped the meatball.Added Jeffs' rub and headed for some smoke

Smoked for about 3 hours at 225* with hickory, tasty and huge ,one will make a good breakfast !

Thanks for looking ! CM

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Absolutely beautiful, CM! Points

Disco

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Yummy!

Yummy!

Yummy!

Point!

Al

b-one

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 31, 2014
Tasty looking eggs! Do you ever wrap them with bacon,or are you into health food or something?:biggrin:

mr parx

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 2, 2014
A bit late to the party, but I'm inspired.  I was looking to do another ham this weekend (not nearly enough leftovers from T-day!), and these might fit just right on the top rack.  

I'm sure sausage drippings won't ruin a ham, right? 

(I'd give points but I still don't really see how!)

Best,

-parx

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
CM They look great I am doing these soon.Maybe quail eggs for an app thanks for the post. Points

Richie

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Those look perfect!  I haven't met anyone that didn't like Scotch eggs.

The last ones I did were quail eggs and PICKLED to boot!

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014

Those look perfect!  I haven't met anyone that didn't like Scotch eggs.

The last ones I did were quail eggs and PICKLED to boot!
Charley how did they come out?

Richie

register1

Joined Jul 3, 2015
I am guessing the eggs are fully cooked inside prior to wrapping in the sausage?

These look so wonderful!  I want to make some.  Good to have on hand for a quick breakfast.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014

I am guessing the eggs are fully cooked inside prior to wrapping in the sausage?

These look so wonderful!  I want to make some.  Good to have on hand for a quick breakfast.
Boiled or steamed, and then peeled before wrapping in sausage.

murraysmokin

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 14, 2015
Love some scotch eggs with a good brown mustard...so frickin good & those look spot on [emoji]128523[/emoji]

dward51

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 24, 2011

Boiled/steamed to just shy of being true "hard boiled". You want it mostly done and with the whites done enough to hold up to peeling. The yolk with take final set while the sausage is smoked.  If you overheat the yolk, it will give that greenish color and sulfur smell.  Notice how in Crazy Moon's photo with the egg cut in half it is just shy of hard set after smoking the sausage coating.  That is perfect on the finished product (so you want it a little less done than that when wrapping with the sausage).

Last edited:

register1

Joined Jul 3, 2015
Oh I want these now!  Yes, I was thinking a 6 minute boil, so I could gently peel them and the yolk still runny, then smoke.  I want to use some spicy sausage mixed with regular and someone mentioned brown mustard.... yum!  I think I will make these for xmas morning.

register1

Joined Jul 3, 2015
Oh I want these now!  Yes, I was thinking a 6 minute boil, so I could gently peel them and the yolk still runny, then smoke.  I want to use some spicy sausage mixed with regular and someone mentioned brown mustard.... yum!  I think I will make these for xmas morning.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I Know---I know---I'm Late---But I'm Old!!! 

Looks Great, CM !!
----

Nice Job, Buddy!!

Bear

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Hey CM. I missed this one til I just read Richie s new post.

These look great. I love Scottish eggs but havent tried them in the MES...yet.

Theyre now on the Christmas morning menu.

Thanks for the idea.

Gary

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.