Meat vs Meat Substitute, Your Viewpoint ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I saw this and thought I would share and see what others think.
<Insert link here>

I can completely understand the Louisiana Agricultural & Forestry Commissioners viewpoint. I also understand where it comes from. Years ago when the Chinese showed up selling their crawfish using Louisiana packaging names to intentionally misdirect the consumer i.e. "Boudreaux's Crawfish". The Louisiana crawfish farmers took offense because the Chinese crayfish were a cheaper but also less appealing (larger and much much tuffer). When the packaging was challenged in court they changed it in small print, and started packaging the crawfish offshore Louisiana in their processing ships to comply with the new packaging requirements. Which also alleviated the import taxes and tariffs. Now after years of education most folks have tried both and understand the difference. But its taken 30 years to get that way and some creative changes by domestic producers to stay competitive.

I have no problem with soy burgers, the lunch lady and the Mess cook could make 'em taste however they wanted but you could still tell from the density. I am sure some of today's veggie burgers are far superior to those. But I still want to know they are NOT meat.

Its almost like infringing upon a trademark which is 1000's of years old. Again I have no problem trying they today, but I still think of Soylent Green. I know when I grind chuck where it is from. Its not 100% protected but, I think back to "Pink Slime". They did do away with it as I would have hoped.

I think all should be open to all, nut I also believe in truth in advertising.

So whats your idea and why?

I agree with piker. Not the least bit inclined to try one. I mean, why on earth would I want to eat an imitation meat patty when I can have a real one?????
They're all the craze now, but sooner or later, one of the tree huggers will realise that they contain GMO products and the fad will (hopefully) pass into obscurity.
BTW, Kev, that link doesn't show up for me.
Gary

I am actually looking forward to commercially sold artificial meat. There are many advantages to this.

1: No need for raising animals for protein then killing them for it

2: Material inputs would be significantly lower for cultured meat

3: Disease would be bred out of cultured meats

4: Cultured meats will be of consistent quality and because material inputs are the same for all, Waygu should be the same price to produce as canner grade beef

5: Cultured meat can be produced anywhere a lab can be erected so no farm land is needed for animal grazing

The only disadvantage I can see is that some less sought after cuts may disappear from the consumer market as why would I pay for ground chuck when I can get rib eye for the same cost?

JC :emoji_cat:

I am actually looking forward to commercially sold artificial meat. There are many advantages to this.

1: No need for raising animals for protein then killing them for it

2: Material inputs would be significantly lower for cultured meat

3: Disease would be bred out of cultured meats

4: Cultured meats will be of consistent quality and because material inputs are the same for all, Waygu should be the same price to produce as canner grade beef

5: Cultured meat can be produced anywhere a lab can be erected so no farm land is needed for animal grazing

The only disadvantage I can see is that some less sought after cuts may disappear from the consumer market as why would I pay for ground chuck when I can get rib eye for the same cost?

JC :emoji_cat:
As I said I am old fashioned and when I want to eat meat I will eat real meat and then real vegetables. By the way what is cultured meat if there is no meat in it it cannot be called meat!

Reactions: JC in GB
There WAS/IS nothing wrong with Pink Slime, other than the Ratings Generating, BS, Sensationalized New Reports!!!!!!
Butcher's have been Scraping Bones for trim to add to Ground Beef, since the First Shop opened. Now some Engineers mechanized the process AND add a system to sterilize the meat and protect consumers from Pathogens, and the Media turns it into the New Millennium's MSG! What Garbage.

20 years ago I went to a Sysco Sponsored showcase were they gave some of the areas top Chefs, Tofu, Textured Vegetable Protein Granules, a sub for ground meat, and a few other Faux meat products to play with and hopefully get promoted. Now Tofu kept intact, slices, cubes, then cooked is still Tofu, I happen to Love it and add it to Asian Dishes without fail. BUT...The other products handled with a deft hand was virtually indistinguishable from the same foods made with Meat. If someone walked in to the showcase, not knowing what was featured, they would have no idea the entire Buffet was Meat Free!
I have added TSP to Burgers and Sausage and there is zero taste difference. The only noticeable difference is Meatballs, Meatloaf or Sausage get a slight to very noticeable Spongy Texture, depending on the %TVP added. BEST Hospital Food I ever had was a Veggie Burger with L,T,O, a Tofu Based Special Sauce and a Vegan Cheese! To bad I could not find out the Brand Burger used...JJ

Reactions: DanMcG and JC in GB
As I said I am old fashioned and when I want to eat meat I will eat real meat and then real vegetables. By the way what is cultured meat if there is no meat in it it cannot be called meat!

A cultured pearl is still a pearl, an artificial diamond is a diamond. If the product isn't comparable, it won't sell.

If what they produce is just a blob of protein then I can agree with that. Maybe I am looking at a pie in the sky scenario but I can't see why they couldn't simply grow a target muscle group like brisket, eye of round, etc...

My son in law is a farmer rancher etc so I get all my meat from him including pork and chicken TOTALLY chemical and hormone free. The difference is something you have to try.

By the way what is cultured meat if there is no meat in it it cannot be called meat!

THEY...The manufacturer can call it Anything the FDA Says they can call it! If given FDA approval, they can call it Super Extra Prime Beef from the Heartland of AMERICA! All depends who is sitting on the FDA Approval Board, How much Insentive, $$$$$, they have to approve the name and a whole lot of good marketing.
Like the latest promotion of Nuts being Cholesterol Free, Gluten Free and NON-GMO! Nut have ALWAYS been all these things, just now the Label says so!...JJ

My son in law is a farmer rancher etc so I get all my meat from him including pork and chicken TOTALLY chemical and hormone free. The difference is something you have to try.

I believe you. Feel free to send me some frozen cuts so I can confirm this for others!:emoji_wink::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_sunglasses:

i've had veggie burgers and hotdogs, to me they weren't the worst things i've ever tasted. I personally prefer the real stuff though. I like how some companies advertise no growth hormones or steroids added, as far as I know these are banned in the usa. same with uncured bacon and hotdogs, because they add the nitrites and nitrates naturally they can call them uncured. I know this is probably getting off topic.

I've never been an "early adopter" of anything, especially anything coming out of a lab. History has shown over and over that what first appears to be beneficial may eventually be just the opposite. I watch, read, and learn, letting others swallow the kool-aid.

I was never a fan of imitations. If i want plant protein i will eat it in its original form: nuts, beans, etc not ground up as a fake sausage. And i do eat meatless 4 days a week.

THEY...The manufacturer can call it Anything the FDA Says they can call it! If given FDA approval, they can call it Super Extra Prime Beef from the Heartland of AMERICA! All depends who is sitting on the FDA Approval Board, How much Insentive, $$$$$, they have to approve the name and a whole lot of good marketing.
Like the latest promotion of Nuts being Cholesterol Free, Gluten Free and NON-GMO! Nut have ALWAYS been all these things, just now the Label says so!...JJ

Not sure that is correct. In more than one federal law meat actually has a legal definition.

(1) The part of the muscle of any cattle, sheep, swine, or goats which is skeletal or which is found in the tongue, diaphragm, heart, or esophagus, with or without the accompanying and overlying fat, and the portions of bone (in bone-in product such as T-bone or porterhouse steak), skin, sinew, nerve, and blood vessels which normally accompany the muscle tissue and that are not separated from it in the process of dressing. As applied to products of equines, this term has a comparable meaning.

(i)Meat does not include the muscle found in the lips, snout, or ears.

(ii)Meat may not include significant portions of bone, including hard bone and related components, such as bone marrow, or any amount of brain, trigeminal ganglia, spinal cord, or dorsal root ganglia (DRG)

Reactions: daveomak
It is amazing how many people have been convinced to eat strange things. I am constantly amazed at the "power of suggestion."

At this stage in life I have zero interest in eating a meal that isn't 100% enjoyable.

If I have to convince myself that I am enjoying the food, rather than actually enjoying it without those mental gymnastics, I have zero interest in eating that meal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky