Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello everyone. I think i am probably like a lot of other new people around here that was driven to the site researching the 560.

Of all the research i have done there are a few things that are the common, lets just say concerns.

Obviously the wifi/bt & app. sounds like the true fix to that is going to have to be an update from MB. Not surprising. This always happens with new apps.

Paint peeling and firebox burn out. These seem to me that they could possibly be addressed before they become a bigger problem. When paint peels from temp, it is usually a bond issue. My guess is most people don't notice this in the beginning because they are so giddy about having a new smoker they start with projects that don't go to super high temps causing the failure. I am also wondering if the biggest issue causing the very quick firebox burn out is a result of people not following directions and leaving the slide(s) in mistakenly or thinking they are going to be slick and out engineer the engineering causing excessive heat in the box.

I have seen the video of the stainless sleeve for the firebox. My question is, would it be feasible and/or would it make sense to run a long "cleaning" burn , say 2 hours and full tilt boogie to promote the paint failure, scrape off what does fail, prime it, and paint it with high temp paint BEFORE the first seasoning? I can't see painting with high temp paint prior to assembly working as its bond will only be as good as the bond of the layer underneath it, unless, of course, it is not a bond issue and it is an issue with the OEM paint not having a high enough temp rating.

anybody seen anything else on the rotisserie ? I have one from my Jenn Air gg that i would likt to try and retrofit into it.

Reactions: Will Squared
I’ve had the 560 since January I haven’t experienced any paint peeling. I’ve done both low and slow along with high heat cooks. I do use a piece of foil over the top of the hopper opening.
The rotisserie is on the Home Depot website for $99 although it’s not available yet. I’ve heard of others retro fitting rotisserie’s.

I do have Burn through on my hopper to the fireblocks, but i also do 80% of my cooking at 600-700 searing steaks. However, Im not worried about it, Those liners will last longer than the metal they used but nothing is going to be able to stand up to probably close to 800+ degrees in the chamber. As far as paint peeling, I've had mine since November and no issues with paint.

So, are you confirming that these are actually fire blocks as MB is claiming? Is there any damage to the metal above or does it abruptly stop at a junction to the top of the chute?

I understand the thought process about securing them for shipping. What i find odd is they would use that amount of sheet metal to do it. MFG'S making "inexpensive" products typically don't waste a shred of materials and would skimp something like this.

MB claims that the "fire block" (which is actually ceramic fiber pads), are kept in place by sacrificial metal that will burn out long before the pad ever will. They offer replacements for $29, although I'm not sure if that is a single panel or all four.

If it is any consolation, the metal plates covering the fire blocks do not exist in the parts diagram so them being temporary most likely is not b.s.

Scratch that off the concern list.

I bought the 1050 last month and used it about 6 times so far I have mostly done low temp cooks but I’ve bumped it up to 600 to sear twice. Seasoned it to the directions from MB I’d say after the 3rd cook I noticed the paint on the inside of the hopper lid liquify and melt off. I ended up wiping off half of it with a towel. Haven’t really had an issue since it seasoned itself black again.

One other thing I had an “issue” with was when I went to plug in a 2nd meat probe that wasn’t a masterbuilt one it wouldn't register. Not a huge deal since I had a wireless 6 probe thermometer before I bought this smoker. I’m guessing it might have been a difference in probe diameter throwing it off since the masterbuilt one that came with the unit was twice the dia.

At the end of the day it’s still a mass produced overseas product that’s made for the consumer market it’s going to have its quirks and downfalls.

With that said I’m still really happy I bought this over a traeger. I think the flavor profiles that can be achieved with this smoker are superior because you can put whatever kind of wood you want in it your not limited to a manufactured pellet (just my opinion). It holds temp very well and it’s flat out amazing how fast it gets up to cooking temp considering it’s all charcoal fuel. As far as overall build quality, there’s a difference between the 1050 and 560 but the 1050 I feel for the price it’s a built pretty solid it doesn’t feel like a cheap grill that’s going to rattle apart.

At $500 for a 560 you really can’t go wrong. I’ve been recommending it to anyone thats asked how I like it.

Just a newbies 2 cents take it for what it is.

Are there actually demonstrable differences in the build quality between the two, that, other than size, would justify the extra cost of the 1050 over the 560? If so, what are you seeing?

Are there actually demonstrable differences in the build quality between the two, that, other than size, would justify the extra cost of the 1050 over the 560? If so, what are you seeing?

There are some differences design wise between the two. BBQ HQ did a pretty good comparison video(s) on the YouTube about it. I know the base between the two is different which will add to the rigidity of the grill (solid vs a grate connecting the four legs together), can’t confirm this but I read and heard the lid is heavier on the 1050 which can help with heat retention and overall fell of a sturdier build. The monetary jump between the two i feel is pretty fair they added more material and doubled the capacity. To put it into perspective the 1050 has the same amount of cooking space as an average 6 burner gas grill ( in my case it had slightly more area to cook on than my 6 burner)

Not sure if that fully answers your question but there a good amount of videos out there comparing the two I watched a bunch of them before I pulled the trigger on it. I went the 1050 route not because I felt the 560 was inferior but due to the fact that I entertain a lot ( or use to for that matter) so the added capacity was needed.

found it.

not sure the front shelf is all that functional or the drawer for cords is actually beneficial, seems a little small. The lid appears to be heavier construction.

found it.

not sure the front shelf is all that functional or the drawer for cords is actually beneficial, seems a little small. The lid appears to be heavier construction.

Yupp that’s one of them. I ended up buying mine from those guys it’s one of the few places I was able to buy it online. I can say I was in your shoes two months ago trying to research the hell out of this thing because to be honest I was hesitant that it was a MB product when for the the price I could have gotten a traeger. However since then I’ve been pretty happy with my decision and the food coming off of it has been awesome.
108EA52A-5566-4814-9F57-B295214F593A.jpeg

exactly RB. As someone said before, this is like buying the first model year of a new vehicle.

I have a Jenn Air stainless LP grill from lowes. It is 16 years old. I can't remember what i paid for it but i think it was somewhere in the 7-800 range with an employee discount through a friend. Came with lifetime warranty on the burners, grates, and heat deflectors. The original bronze burners lasted for 10 years. Now i get them replaced about every 2 years because the only way they make them for warranty service is cheap cast iron. Send them a pic, they ship new ones out NQA, only pay about $10 for shipping.

My concern is this is going to be like other MB stuff or worse, char broil, that are disposable grills. I get a $150-200 grill is a 3-5 year grill that you throw away and buy a new one. $500-1000 on the other hand, shouldn't be considered disposable and i would hope to get at least 15 years out of it.

Then again, maybe that Nexgrill licensed to sell at lowe's under the Jenn Air name spoiled me and my expectations are too high.

Interested in the 1050, am about to buy a primo xl but am hesitating, but after reading amazon and other threads have some concerns about this unit.

Ribs and meats. Do they get bark? A bit of char like burnt ends? I'm reading some reviews and comments saying they don't. Is there a trick?

I'm reading common issues with the switches, the lid switch having to be replaced, control board sometimes. Once replaced do they stay ok?

If you just use the fireboard can you cancel all switches and electronic failures and just go?

Flare up's, common theme is at 700 searing there are flare up's.
How do you deal with them? Whole thing is on fire what do you do? I plan on searing steaks regularly. I don't want to burn my house down.. Or scrape my grill every use.

I like char on my burgers, I'm not planning on cooking them on a cast iron pan, or I'd just do that inside? Normally I would just grill them. Do you use a water pan and grill on 2nd rack? And they get done like a normal gas grill finish?

Some comment the top lid of loader bubbles and perhaps it's not paint but some other calcite or something that you just scrape off? That confirmed?

Anyone have photos of everything they wrapped in foil. And what's heavy foil? Like heavy duty aluminum foil labelled as such?

Thanks... I'm very interested in this solution, I'd pay 2x for quality and reliability though. I really just need it to work consistently and produce results like you'd get out of a bge or primo with pid/fan setup.

Smoked some ribs Friday and really tested its heat retention. The weather turned mid day and it started raining for the rest of the evening. Since I was determined to have ribs for dinner I rolled it just outside of my garage so that it was getting rained on but I wasn’t and let it rip. 45 degrees in the rain and wind it didn’t seem to care ribs where done just fine and the temps only seemed to swing +\- maybe 5 degrees. All in all a good cook
0281F206-3DEE-40CB-B878-32FEFDF73C4C.jpeg

I posted another thread that i pulled the trigger on the 1050 and posted a posted a question at the bottom but apparently i must have been a little wordy because nobody is responding,:emoji_laughing:, so i guess i'll ask it here.

What is everyone using for the oil to season it? Regular ole soybean veggie oil? Canola oil? olive oil?

The manual says veggie oil and then veggie shortening to prevent rust. Wouldn't it be easier to just mist with an oil sprayer? What about the exterior?

I ask because taking this thing up to top temp is going to push any oil well past it's smoke point and I went through the whole 342 layers of grape seed oil on cast iron that just flaked off anyway.

Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky