Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Was looking into Pellet Smokers but THIS has fewer mechanicals to go bad. I will need to look further into this one...JJ

Glad to see one of the bigger manufacturers looking at making affordable gravity fed smokers. $497 retail ain't a half bad price. Can't tell for sure from the pics, but it almost looks like the two upper smaller racks might be able to hold a full depth rack. If so then that would be damn amazing to be able to fit 3 whole packers or 6 butts easy.

Hmm, come December I might grab one of these for the front porch collection. Gonna have to get rid of something to free up space first tho...damnit.

According to a FB post and replays from MB, the have intentions on releasing larger models in the future. One for sure in 2020, so I might be holding out for a bigger kit. But that depends on if the warming racks in this can be swapped out for a full size or not. If they can then I could easily see this being my go to home/small event smoker, but if it cant hold 3 packers or 6-8 butts, it's not big enough.

Is Drive Nails Accurate even possible with Charcoal? Pellets heat up and burn out quickly. Pump in 15 seconds of pellets the temp changes quickly. I don't think you can get the same response from 10 burning hunks of charcoal...JJ

With simplistic controllers, 40+/- temp swings happen regularly with pellet grills. My stock Traeger would sometimes be worse. The Savannah upgrade fixed that.
Controlling a smooth smolder with a fan control, I would think reasonable temp control would be possible. Hopefully the fan speed is variable, not a generic high/low sort of thing. At this price point we will get what we get.

This is a cook in my large gravity fed using my fireboard controller and fan. The low spots are door openings. This was from a fairly windy and chilly day and it was about a 5° swing per each temperature stage I ran that day. Starting at 265, then to 275, then 300, and finally capping at 325.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191024-202300_FireBoard.jpg
    Screenshot_20191024-202300_FireBoard.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 178
According to a FB post and replays from MB, the have intentions on releasing larger models in the future. One for sure in 2020, so I might be holding out for a bigger kit. But that depends on if the warming racks in this can be swapped out for a full size or not. If they can then I could easily see this being my go to home/small event smoker, but if it cant hold 3 packers or 6-8 butts, it's not big enough.

On facebook they said you could combine those two half-racks into one bigger rack to cook a 2nd brisket, and if you got two more half-racks you'd be able to do three briskets.

On facebook they said you could combine those two half-racks into one bigger rack to cook a 2nd brisket, and if you got two more half-racks you'd be able to do three briskets.

Yea I just was scrolling thru comments and found rack dimensions.

Essentially you'll have two 22" x 11" cooking surfaces and one 22" x 14". I dunno, it's like right on the cusp of being the size I want for small jobs/home cooks. I'm definitely gonna hold off until I can get hands on with a floor model.

Is Drive Nails Accurate even possible with Charcoal? Pellets heat up and burn out quickly. Pump in 15 seconds of pellets the temp changes quickly. I don't think you can get the same response from 10 burning hunks of charcoal...JJ

My Baby Sarina recovers quite fast. The fan pushing air over the coal in the firebox gets the pit hot very quickly.

I don't like the axial fan design. Axial fans don't create as much head pressure as centrifugal fans. I wonder why they choose an axial fan for air handling?

JC

Reactions: Will Squared
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky