Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Can someone measure their 560 and 1050 grills?
There's 3 or 4 grill dimensions floating around and I can't figure out what's what.

I'm wondering if a full rack of 20in ribs fits on the 560 without needing to be cut?
I read some dimensions saying 560 is 15 wide. And 20 deep. So you'd run the ribs front to back or cut them if left to right? Makes me want a 1050 if that's the case?

I also read some say it's 22 wide.. Color me confused.
Taped my 1050 it’s 28”x 18” fits ribs no problem.

Taped my 1050 it’s 28”x 18” fits ribs no problem.
I see someone saying approx 22x14.5 for the 560 so that is making a bit more sense. Thank you for measuring.
2 grates - 11" wide/ 14 1/2" deep.

I'm trying to convince my wife it makes sense to buy the masterbuilt and a primo xl(it's on sale) she doesn't seem to see the reason.

Im liking w primo being able to cook right above the coals on a dropped split offset grill, and go up to pizza temperatures of 800f.

But to be honest this masterbuilt comes pretty close to covering everything. Just dunno what I'll be condition wise in 3 years where the primo will keep chugging. I'm ok w replacing masterbuilt at that interval.
I'm mostly worried about missing out on the primo sale lol.

Reactions: Will Squared
I see someone saying approx 22x14.5 for the 560 so that is making a bit more sense. Thank you for measuring.
2 grates - 11" wide/ 14 1/2" deep.

I'm trying to convince my wife it makes sense to buy the masterbuilt and a primo xl(it's on sale) she doesn't seem to see the reason.

Im liking w primo being able to cook right above the coals on a dropped split offset grill, and go up to pizza temperatures of 800f.

But to be honest this masterbuilt comes pretty close to covering everything. Just dunno what I'll be condition wise in 3 years where the primo will keep chugging. I'm ok w replacing masterbuilt at that interval.
I'm mostly worried about missing out on the primo sale lol.

I've had the 560 since January. Solid so far except for the lid switch. I went ahead and bypassed it and MB is sending me a new one. I bought the 560 at Home Depot along with the 3 year extended warranty just in case. I've cooked st louis spares and baby backs with no issues fitting them.

is it really going to make much difference to cook a pizza at 700° instead of 800°?
I don't think it makes much difference at all.
The probe that the controller is reading is at the left side of the cook box at the end of the manifold. So that is the temp that the controller "sees".
The dial of the door could read something else entirely.
If you put probes in different areas you will have different readings.
When I sear I set it for 700' but have seen controller readings up to 770'.
I can drop the temp 100' or more by opening the lid. So you will see the Controller temp drop and rise back up. So the temp will be an up and down thing.
The grates, griddle, or pizza pan will act as a heat sink and hold your temp.
I lay a probe on my griddle when I sear so I can have another indicator.
I use the Master Built probe because it can handle the higher temps.

But cooking is not an exact science.
It is more of an art.

Thank you everyone. I lit my akorn kamado cooker.. Smell like a barn doing it. Messing with electric starter.. Rolled bbq closer to wall.. Then tried not to burn anything taking it out.. Covered in smoke.. Now 20min later having connected thermoworks signals and fan, to get it to 700+ am about to pizza..

Ordered the 1050.. Hope it comes soon.. I am putting the primo xl order on hold to see how this goes.

How is everyone dealing with 24hr or longer cooks..
Are you refilling the tank 3 times? I'm dreading idea of middle of the night refill.

Second guessing if the 560 was a smarter move as the charcoal fill lasts 2-3hrs longer?

I don't do any long cooks now but with a proper smoker capable I would. If it could run overnight without a refill. Pulled pork seems to run 24hrs and a few other things I understand

Some people say primo lasts 3 days on one fill of charcoal on low and slow.

Pizzas, even frozen ones, turn out great in the GF. Instead of a pizza stone, I use one of those kevlar type grill sheets. The ones I have are good to 600 deg. Non-stick and when you oil the sheet with PAM or other spray, will crisp up the crust like a brick oven

• Love
So I picked up my 1050 Wednesday. Got it home and discovered the entire cook chamber was skewed a 1/2 inch. Worked with the manager at cabelas and we swapped out mine with the one they put together for display.

Got it home. Two screws fell out, one of the tool hangers was gone. Had to go through and literally tighten every screw. If I didn't have a bad arm I would have assembled it myself. Great frigging free assembly service this cabelas store performs.( i will say though the manager was great.)

Finally did the burn in and am now in the first cycle of season and a thunderstorm pops up.

That is my luck. Haven't even cooked anything on it yet and it is getting soaked.lol

Good news is the b.t. is connected and it is holding temp in the rain.

You guys see the new Fireboard2? With drive? Waterproof as well.. So I hope someone makes a mod to swap out the factory masterbuilt controller with this unit.

I have a thermoworks signals I'll be replacing with the fireboard pro.

2020-05-07 17.39.08.jpg
You mean like this?

Hi guys. My first post so hopefully it goes as planned.

Picked up a 560 Friday and put it together. I was impressed. I'm a lifelong Weber fan and had been waiting forever for their new Smokefire. Given the uncurling events around it's launch and use, well, I gave up. Wanted one bad but too many issues. That may have been my good fortune.

I was hesitant to buy a Masterbuilt product because of their reputation for uh, less than ideal reliability and short lifespan. My bad. This thing is built fairly well and well engineered. Little stainless involved so I expect a limited life but really pleased at what I've seen.

Went through burn-in without any issues with the grill. It's a pleasure to operate and it's performance is simply amazing with respect to quick to temp and stable afterwards. Plan my first cook in a couple of hours.

The only issue I've encountered concerns the app. It works, sort of. But it also disconnects and fails to connect, all of which is probably operator error. This brings me to the point of my post.

Does anyone know of a write up or detailed explanation of how this controller and WiFi/Bluetooth are supposed to play together? The description in the manual assumes everything works. When it doesn't you are left to figure things out and that isn't working too well for me. I can't tell if it's bluetooth or wifi that's my poblem.

I also understand there is a system update thats out. How do you update this puppy?

Cheers!

Does anyone know of a write up or detailed explanation of how this controller and WiFi/Bluetooth are supposed to play together? The description in the manual assumes everything works. When it doesn't you are left to figure things out and that isn't working too well for me. I can't tell if it's bluetooth or wifi that's my poblem.

I also understand there is a system update thats out. How do you update this puppy?

Cheers!

I don't have mine yet. But I've seen many people say you need to continue hitting the connect button on the grill with the app open.. And that in many cases it loses connection when you minimize or close the app.. Craziness I know, but hope it gets better or I'll just replace with Fireboard2. Congrats on the new grill

I decided to connect it to my phone and then to WiFi in the middle of my first cook. It was a bit of a pain to pair but as soon as I did it said there was an update so I went ahead with that. I didn't realize it but it was also a firmware update for the 560 and it reset in the middle of the cook. Luckily it didn't take too long to reboot and it held temp well.

So not really the most helpful answer to your question, but that's all I've got

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky