Made David's Potato Crusted Sausages (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Our good friend David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ) posted his sausage stuffed potato loaf and I was quite intrigued. His looked great but being a southern boy with a particular fetish for gravy, went a little different direction. Same basic concept, just a little bit different in execution.

Onions and celery in a skillet with some butter
001.jpg

Mashed potato mix all done
002.jpg

Lay out the Saran wrap and the first layer of potatoes. Sorry David, I had to put some cheese inside :emoji_wink:
003.jpg

This is a Texas style beef and jalapeno sausage. Casings are natural so it had a curve in it. I made relief cuts inside of the curve to straighten it out.
004.jpg

Second layer of taters
005.jpg

Form it a bit then roll up nice and tight and twist the ends closed
006.jpg

I actually did 2 of these. Into the fridge for a few hours. Brush with egg wash, apply some of my beef rub and some parsley
007.jpg

Smoker running 280 with cherry wood. Time to get these babies going
008.jpg

Here's something you've never seen from me before: poolside TBS
009.jpg

An hour and a half in. Starting to take on some color and crust up
010.jpg

Made a nice salad to go along with them
011.jpg

Sorry again David, but mashed potatoes just have to have homemade gravy. Isn't that right Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle )?
012.jpg

Plated. When they were done they really didn't look any different than the pic in the smoker so didn't bother posting a finished pic. I had some plating issues though.
013.jpg

Close up
014.jpg

My potatoes were way too soft. Either I didn't get enough binder in them, didn't let them cook long enough, or some of both. The presentation is lacking but not the flavor or the concept that David came up with. These things were outstanding!! They were also a ton of fun to make and rest assured, they will be made again. Hopefully next time I'll get the taters more in line with what was done in the original post. Thanks so much for sharing that one David. It made for an outstanding meal that was a blast to make as well as enjoy eating. Kudos to you my friend!!

Robert

I'm happy they tasted great, but that's exactly what I thought was going to happen when DRKsmoking DRKsmoking posted it originally. I was pleasantly surprised. For me, I would have to leave the butter out of the potatoes.

I like your idea of single sausage. When you figure out the potatoes, I'll give it a try.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow Robert , thanks for the plug. You did great with yours also.

I made mine with no butter in the mashed and added a cup of flour. Next time for me I will add even a little more flour.
It makes it more of a potato bread, but mine settled a bit . So stiffer potatoes next time.

When we talked I knew your idea of singles was the way to go. Did you spray your tinfoil, on my second one I forgot and hard to come off the foil until later when it cooled off.

Love the gravy idea and the extra cheese inside

All in all , glad you thought it was worthy of making your own version

David,

" Big thumbs up for this "

southern boy with a particular fetish for gravy, went a little different direction

You know me I am all about the gravy same as you and Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle , gravy could be just in a glass if Mona was not watching.
But when I did mine I wanted the sausages to stand out
And again my next ones will be single like yours , and will have gravy for dipping. lol

David

You did David proud Robert. They may have fallen apart, but they still look outstanding.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice cook Robert! Kudos for swinging, if your not swinging you never hit anything! Either way it looked tasty!

You know me I am all about the gravy same as you and Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle , gravy could be just in a glass if Mona was not watching......

David
I'm not going to confirm or deny consuming glasses full of gravy!!!!

What a minute. I missed the thread where Robert said he was a swinger. Or is that an SMF sub-forum that's only available to paid members? :emoji_laughing:

Chris
Holy smokes.....note to self proof read what you type when responding while on a zoom call looking like you are working.......

I get adds so I'm NOT in the know....LOL

That's just awesome! This definitely has to go on the needs to be done soon list! Hope I remember to put a sausage in it! Our local Mexican place used to use gravy straws in their margaritas...well they were about the diameter of a dime so could have been used for gravy! :emoji_blush:

Thanks for the ideas and creations!

Ryan

• Haha
Probably not something I'd take the time to do, that's a lot of work. But I'd sit down to that plate in a hot second, love the gravy add too! RAY

Last edited:
Very interesting, never seen these before.
Looks tasty and that's what counts.

Chile
Not to take away from Roberts post of great food but this is what he got his inspiration from and
I am glad he did.

David

Good grief Robert!
That meal has every comfort food in it including that salad!
I think I may have some of that sausage, so, one more for the ToDo list!
Al

man, those look delicious!! will have to give them a try! oh, and i love gravy on mashed potatoes too!!
Thanks so much. They are kind of a disjointed mess, but they sure did taste good!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky