Looking for my first Japanese gyuto 240mm knife.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BC Buck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
MO
Any suppliers or brands you recommend. My current knifes will not stay sharp. Took to work and rockwell tested at 49. Looks like good quality knifes should range between 58 and 65RC. Also what kind of steel do you like. Doing research before spending this kind of money is overwhelming.

I have a Myiabi kaizen II 8"
48 layers damascus steel, hardness 61
Beautiful, great feel in my hand

1654362692319.png

Tojiro makes a decent set of 50/50 edge stainless clad knives with western handles. If I ever decide to step into the Japanese knife world that's probably the first I'll buy. The non-cutting edge finish can be a little rough, but some sandpaper fixes that. Heck, I've had to do that on some of my German knives at the same price point.

The vast majority of Japanese knives are made for right handed use. No problem if that's your profile.

Avoid Amazon unless you know EXACTLY what you are buying. There are a lot of Chinese companies masquerading as Japanese knife makers with Japanese steel. Buy from a reputable dealer like Cutlery and More, Bernal, etc.

I believe Miyabi, a Japanese company in Seki, Japan, is owned by Zwilling in Germany. Definitely reputable.

Steels are a major consideration, both for use and care. HRCs greater that 60 keep a great edge but are more prone to chipping.
HRC 58-60 is a bit less prone to chipping than the higher numbers. I've got 56-60 HRC German knives that I sharpen maybe once a year and have never chipped.

As I was researching and shopping for Japanese knives, I paid close attention to how my wife and I use our knives. I saw habits that convinced me that we'd have rust buckets and chipped knives with clad or high carbon steel Japanese knives.

The one major advantage of Japanese knives, besides edge retention, is lighter weight. They are typically 30-70% lighter than a German counterpart.

If I ever step into the world of Japanese knives, Tojiro is still on the table of consideration for making that transition.

Last edited:
Reactions: BC Buck
Really what do you want to spend and if it will be rough service or not. Some of the higher end ones are a bit fragile, like race horses.

Also if you like a lot of belly in the knife or a flatter profile . Rocker vs slicer cutting action

A couple of 240mm Tojiro gyutos.

I totally love high quality blade steel. But... eventually you will have to sharpen them, just like any other knife.

If you teach yourself how to sharpen knives, you will be way ahead with some of your old favorites. Like maybe a Grandma butcher knife, or a favorite fillet knife. Sure, you might have to spend an afternoon every couple of months touching up an edge, but there is a good chance some knives in your arsenal are wonderful knives.

Reactions: noboundaries
I totally love high quality blade steel. But... eventually you will have to sharpen them, just like any other knife.

If you teach yourself how to sharpen knives, you will be way ahead with some of your old favorites. Like maybe a Grandma butcher knife, or a favorite fillet knife. Sure, you might have to spend an afternoon every couple of months touching up an edge, but there is a good chance some knives in your arsenal are wonderful knives.
I do taxidermy so have sharpening stones about every 10'. It always amazes me how few people even try to sharpen there own knifes. When you work with sharp edges day in and out you realize 90% of knifes should go in trash.

Reactions: atomicsmoke
MAC makes very solid knives as a nice entry to the Japanese chef market. The Konosuke HD is also a good choice. I have both, a Blazen and Gesshin Kagero. All a bit different but lightweight. Kanehide also make a good budget knife.

I want to thank everybody for the help. Found a good deal on a blue#2 but chickened out because of rust. Im too use to wiping them with a wet washcloth and put back in drawer. Really wanted a damascus with v-10 I fell in love with but did not want to spend $250 for first knife. Found a Tojiro dp with VG10 SS. 240 MM gyuto for $110 and thought would make good entry level knife. That demascus is still calling my name.

Tojiro DP 240mm Damascus -$170.

BTW, everything you are experiencing I went through. I never pulled the trigger but it's always fun spending other people's money!

Reactions: TH-n-PA
Next thing you know a Takeda, Toyama and a Wat are going to be calling your name. Since you are a good sharpener, I find frequent touch ups (I keep a couple Diamond stones in kitchen as I got old and water stones…lol ) of a few strokes really helps keep micro chips down in some of these knives.

Don’t twist the edge in hard stuff and no crusty bread ;) I have a 240 Victorinox in the drawer for a reason. Congrats!

Tojiro DP 240mm Damascus -$170.

BTW, everything you are experiencing I went through. I never pulled the trigger but it's always fun spending other people's money!
Chef knives to go $110 and free shipping. If don't like, probably get $50 for it on ebay.

This thread sent me spiraling back down the Japanese knife rabbit hole of YouTube videos and online shopping. A few nights of vegetable and meat prep on my stone sharpened knives restored my sanity.

I see you got close to pulling the trigger, Buck. Did you ever make your credit card go BANG!?

I see you got close to pulling the trigger, Buck. Did you ever make your credit card go BANG!?
Tojiro dp with VG10 SS. 240 MM gyuto . Chef knives to go $110 and free shipping. This is not the damascus model. So far ben pleased and took 3k edge well and is still holding.

Reactions: noboundaries
Tojiro dp with VG10 SS. 240 MM gyuto . Chef knives to go $110 and free shipping. This is not the damascus model. So far ben pleased and took 3k edge well and is still holding.

Good for you, Buck. Happy to hear you pulled the trigger. Looking forward to hearing what you think after some serious use over a few weeks.

I'd better go sharpen or cut something. The rabbit hole is tugging on my shirt tail.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky