Looking for my first Japanese gyuto 240mm knife.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I wanted to get a little usage with this knife before giving my opinion. I purchased stones up to 3k grit along with knife. Takes some practice holding knife edge at 15 deg angle after sharping at 30 degrees all your life. Read for meats no reason to go higher unless maybe cutting sushi.
Warning- Be very careful when starting out using your first Japanese knife. There is definitely a WOW factor on how this knife cuts . Between edge angle, vg-10 steel, and thickness of spine of knife ( about 1/2 thickness of my German brand) they cut like a razor. Also if you need cheater glasses to read then you will need them while using your gyuto. Was told not to go shorter than 240mm for rock chopping with a gyuto. Sounds like a sword but after using one you dont want to go any shorter. Also need that forward motion while doing the rock chop to keep food from sticking to face of knife. Im still working of that technique. Been using it for 3 or 4 weeks and still as sharp as day one. My only complaint is the edge of the blade you pinch in front of handle square corners needed some file and polish work to make easer on fingers. Overall this armchair iron chef thinks this is a good choice for entry level Gyuto.

Try using those thin knives like a Japanese saw, on a pull stroke. Pretty amazing how easily they cut just letting the edge work.

Reactions: BC Buck
Sandrin. US supplier is out again but if you can find one they never dull. I have a set of 4 and a couple of their pocket knives.

Attachments

• sk-gyuto5[1].jpg
    sk-gyuto5[1].jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 5
Sandrin. US supplier is out again but if you can find one they never dull. I have a set of 4 and a couple of their pocket knives.
Would love to try one of those but sharpening would be a tuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky