Looking for ideas on pork shank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow that is looking good!

Now is that the MES meat probe you are using? If so know that the smoker and meat probes for the MES are notoriously off. I don't think I have heard of a single member saying either one was on or within 5 degrees.

With that said if you have some other reliable thermometer to stab into that ham it would be a good idea to check the temp on the ham with it.

Keep it up, looks like you will have success! :)

I tried to reply yesterday but there was an "internal server error" so I couldn't get stuff posted. Ill start with saying the ham was amazing and everyone raved about it!

I smoked it in a camp chef smoke vault at about 275 to ensure I got it up to 165 in time for the party. I put it in at 8 am and it was done about 5:30 pm. It stalled big time when I put the glaze on but finally got it up to 165. The thermometer I was using was one from Bed Bath and Beyond (old one broke so I needed something!). I tested it before I used it and it read +4 degrees so I adjusted for that with the final temp. I also double checked it with a second thermometer. I put Bears glaze on it at about 4:30 and it was perfect! When I cut it it seemed to be cured (it was pink) most of the way through except you could see in the middle that some didn't get the cure as it was much more brown so deciding to cook to 165 was a good call.

At about 2:30 I shoved some Mac n Cheese into the smoker and then finished in the oven .

During the day I had a few beers and decided to make some bread pudding with whiskey cream sauce for the party so people were quite happy! I have included some photos. Thank you all for the help with this wildcard of a "ham"!

IMG_4840.JPG
IMG_0735.JPG
IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_8351.JPG

I tried to reply yesterday but there was an "internal server error" so I couldn't get stuff posted. Ill start with saying the ham was amazing and everyone raved about it!

I smoked it in a camp chef smoke vault at about 275 to ensure I got it up to 165 in time for the party. I put it in at 8 am and it was done about 5:30 pm. It stalled big time when I put the glaze on but finally got it up to 165. The thermometer I was using was one from Bed Bath and Beyond (old one broke so I needed something!). I tested it before I used it and it read +4 degrees so I adjusted for that with the final temp. I also double checked it with a second thermometer. I put Bears glaze on it at about 4:30 and it was perfect! When I cut it it seemed to be cured (it was pink) most of the way through except you could see in the middle that some didn't get the cure as it was much more brown so deciding to cook to 165 was a good call.

At about 2:30 I shoved some Mac n Cheese into the smoker and then finished in the oven .

During the day I had a few beers and decided to make some bread pudding with whiskey cream sauce for the party so people were quite happy! I have included some photos. Thank you all for the help with this wildcard of a "ham"!

View attachment 347670 View attachment 347671 View attachment 347672 View attachment 347673

Where'd the feral pig come from?
To be honest, im not quite sure. I work with a bunch of very avid hunters who frequently gift many of us meat. This ham came third party from a coworker who was given the ham by another coworker. He is notorious for having both wild and farm raised pig. We generally are just grateful for the awesome meat we get and don't ask a lot of questions. When I offered to double smoke a ham for the party this one was gifted to me so I went with it.

I was curious because they all taste awesome but different depending on their diet/locale.Pigs with an abundant nut habitat(acorn,hickory,pecan) are delectable.

Reactions: inferno12
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky