• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Leftovers

Nick-IA

Joined May 18, 2020
If you guys are anything like me, when you smoke, you make plenty. And that means leftovers. For me, creating meals with leftovers is almost as fun as the initial cook.

Let's hear some of your favorites! One of my go-to leftover meals is nachos, either with pulled pork or smoked chicken. Here's some chicken ones I made today with pickled onions, jalapenos, roasted red peppers and a couple cheeses.

8F14117A-0739-40F7-8169-63C541A5C857.jpeg

kruizer

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 7, 2015
Yeah, around here, we just call em Dovers. Looks really tasty.

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Pulled pork turns into carnitas, tacos, buritos, and tortilla soup.

Tri tip into fajitas, stroganoff, chili, and vegetable beef soup.

Chicken and turkey into soups, pulled meat, tetrazzini, sandwiches, and a bunch of different casseroles.

Brisket goes into chili or sandwiches. Man I love brisket sandwiches.

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Sure looks good to me! But I have also been too long in the combine...probably gain 10 lbs now that i can eat regular meals!

Ryan

Nick-IA

Joined May 18, 2020

Chicken and turkey into soups, pulled meat, tetrazzini, sandwiches, and a bunch of different casseroles.

Brisket goes into chili or sandwiches. Man I love brisket sandwiches.
Great ones! I do the same with brisket, also do brisket baked beans. One of my favorites.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
My crew pretty much likes the meats as they are. They will eat Pulled Pork in sandwiches until it's gone. I don't re-purpose much at all. Occasionally, Pork Chili Verde, or Texas Red from Smoked Chuckies...JJ

Sarahfly

Joined Mar 18, 2020

Brisket goes into chili or sandwiches. Man I love brisket sandwiches with coffee.
These are great!

Last edited:

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks real good!
Al

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Chicken and pork into enchiladas, flautas, tacos, and burritos
Beef into quesadillas and French dip sannys. RAY

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
I used my last pack of pulled pork to make posole. It was simply fantastic.

Fear not, I did 2 pork shoulders yesterday to replace it. Made them with a generic seasoning so I can use it in a wide variety of dishes.

I use pulled pork for tacos, breakfast hash, as well as the more traditional sandwich. Adding nachos to my repertoire.

posole 2.jpg

JC :emoji_cat:

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 11, 2007
Leftover PP is frozen to be reheated for sandwiches later but chicken or turkey is used to make stock for soups & gravy. Takes a few smokes to get enough stock for some of the recipes.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks Great, Nick!!!
I think anybody here will Vouch for the fact that everything I ever Smoke, Cook, or Grill has at least a couple days worth of leftover consumption following.
Like.

Check any of the Step by Steps I did here---Most of them show what I do with the leftovers near the end:
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Last edited:

bbqbrett

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 17, 2013
I keep it pretty simple. Usually just use the meat for another regular meal or sandwiches. Sometimes though I will add it into some baked beans to spice up a side dish.

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Leftovers are a large part of our daily meals. We generally cook 2 days in a row, and then rotate leftovers.
We're like JJ, except for turkey, we just revisit the original meal. You can only eat so many turkey dinners, so variety helps there.
Gary

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
I'm not big on eating the same thing two or three days in a row. So I freeze all leftovers for future meals. Single serving packs.

Chris

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I'm not big on eating the same thing two or three days in a row. So I freeze all leftovers for future meals. Single serving packs.

Chris

Yup----I'm good for a 2nd night, and usually a 3rd night, but after that the rest gets vac packed & Froze, like the 3 month old Pulled Pork I had last night, and the 2 month old Thin sliced Sous V'd Eye Round Sammy I had tonight.

Bear

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.