• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Learning happens

OldSmoke

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 5, 2020
I had my first fail last week. I did a batch of beef jerky same as always, but I used grilling mats on the racks and laid the jerky flat rather than hanging. It saved a lot of work, but came out way too dry, and cooked way too fast. I’m still puzzled.

So, using the same recipe, this time I hung the strips and it came out great. This is the best batch yet. I am finally getting the rich flavor that I have been seeking. I rinse the strips, pat them down with a paper towel, then lay them out in a glass pan, sprinkling dry rub on each layer. I let them sit at least 24 hours in the refrigerator then put them into zip locks with marinade for another 24 hours. This batch I smoked with apple. I use pepper on half of the batch.

CE93BBA2-AC03-42A4-8B5C-8DD8BBA84A8E.jpeg

The day prior, I smoked four types of cheese. The last time I smoked cheese was during the winter in 40 degrees and howling wind. The smoke went fine, but I think the cold temperatures prevented the cheese from absorbing the smoke. It was good, but pretty mild.

This time, it was about 62 degrees and the cheese came out as I would have expected. Great! I am using a cold smoker generator thingy I invented.

Any thoughts on the best temperature to use?

2CE0D1B6-42EA-479C-BE3A-9569609EE1B6.jpeg

The next step was to make up some trail mix! Four kinds of cheese, jerky, and jalapeño pepperoni. I buy the pepperoni at the meat market.

C55ABC69-D2E8-48A6-AA41-2EA22CCFB415.jpeg
0D8B0E71-B85B-4AC5-8C82-D58157A22967.jpeg

It all came out great. Plenty of snacks to share. Every smoke I learn something new.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 25, 2017
Every smoke I learn something new.

That's EXACTLY the point!

Great job on everything! Having "fails" makes us better people!

Putting in the work to make new and different things or "perfect" a recipe or technique is why all of this is so enjoyable to me

OldSmoke

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 5, 2020
Putting in the work to make new and different things or "perfect" a recipe or technique is why all of this is so enjoyable to me
Thanks for the like.

I enjoy perfecting too. This is the fifth version of my recipe, getting the marinade just right and dry rubbing a day ahead. I’m pretty happy with the taste.

I‘m also a constant tinkerer. My next project is to add PID control to my propane smoker.

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
The extra Heat on the grate is what changed things, just my guess.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 25, 2017
Thanks for the like.

I enjoy perfecting too. This is the fifth version of my recipe, getting the marinade just right and dry rubbing a day ahead. I’m pretty happy with the taste.

I‘m also a constant tinkerer. My next project is to add PID control to my propane smoker.
Hopefully you document and share the PID project.. I'd be interested in learning!

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Nice job across the board. I'd be interested in the Rub and Marinade you use.
Optimal Cheese Smoking Temp...50 to 80°F. Much higher an you will want a Big Pan of Macaroni under the Grates!...JJ

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.