Jerky semi failure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
IMG_1082.jpg

I smoked a batch of teriyaki beef jerky from a 5 # chunk of eye of the round.I had it on for 3-4 hours @ 165* and looked at it and said"one more hour will do it". It was a half hour too long LOL, has great flavor but a bit chewy. Reconstitutes well with beer in your mouth though, I like it when I can still eat my screw-ups !

It's never really a fail if you can still eat it.

One thing I notice is it looks like you cut the meat with the grain, that will also make for a tougher chew.

To test jerky for doneness, take a piece out and let it COOL before doing the bend test. Warm jerky will act a LOT different than room temp.

It's never really a fail if you can still eat it.

One thing I notice is it looks like you cut the meat with the grain, that will also make for a tougher chew.

To test jerky for doneness, take a piece out and let it COOL before doing the bend test. Warm jerky will act a LOT different than room temp.
CB, I like to cut with the grain as I like "the chew", this batch just has a bit too much LOL. My own fault for being cocky and not checking frequently as I knew it was getting close to being done.

Reactions: JLeonard
I love it chewy as well. When I was a kid the EOR, and other scraps, would get cut with the grain in about 1"x1" strips, get a string ran through it, and then into the "smoker" my uncle would throw together each year for jerky. The "smoker" consisted of corrugated barn metal leaned up against the jerky rack that was probably much older than I was at the time.

For smoke/heat, pecan leaves, small deadwood from the pecan tree, and pecan shells (some still whole) would go into the bottom and just smoulder away... People now days would be FREAKING OUT if they saw that contraption in action. Rusty metal that had only God knows what stuck to it when he picked it up off the ground by the barn.

I've never been able to replicate that jerky. The "pickle" recipe he made to marinade the meat in went with him to the grave.

crankybuzzard crankybuzzard by todays standards the majority of us should have never made it out of childhood! And I'm betting you probably ate your body weight in that jerky over your lifetime! Ah God I miss the good old days!

Jim
Oh my friend, that is no joke. I did indeed wear that jerky out when given the opportunity, and the kids today would cringe at some of the other things we did back then!

Crap, now I need to pull an EOR out of the freezer and try once again to make this stuff!

Looks like you done did gooder Dave, and I'm a big fan of teriyaki.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky