Learning happens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
I had my first fail last week. I did a batch of beef jerky same as always, but I used grilling mats on the racks and laid the jerky flat rather than hanging. It saved a lot of work, but came out way too dry, and cooked way too fast. I’m still puzzled.

So, using the same recipe, this time I hung the strips and it came out great. This is the best batch yet. I am finally getting the rich flavor that I have been seeking. I rinse the strips, pat them down with a paper towel, then lay them out in a glass pan, sprinkling dry rub on each layer. I let them sit at least 24 hours in the refrigerator then put them into zip locks with marinade for another 24 hours. This batch I smoked with apple. I use pepper on half of the batch.

CE93BBA2-AC03-42A4-8B5C-8DD8BBA84A8E.jpeg

The day prior, I smoked four types of cheese. The last time I smoked cheese was during the winter in 40 degrees and howling wind. The smoke went fine, but I think the cold temperatures prevented the cheese from absorbing the smoke. It was good, but pretty mild.

This time, it was about 62 degrees and the cheese came out as I would have expected. Great! I am using a cold smoker generator thingy I invented.

Any thoughts on the best temperature to use?

2CE0D1B6-42EA-479C-BE3A-9569609EE1B6.jpeg

The next step was to make up some trail mix! Four kinds of cheese, jerky, and jalapeño pepperoni. I buy the pepperoni at the meat market.

C55ABC69-D2E8-48A6-AA41-2EA22CCFB415.jpeg
0D8B0E71-B85B-4AC5-8C82-D58157A22967.jpeg

It all came out great. Plenty of snacks to share. Every smoke I learn something new.

Every smoke I learn something new.

That's EXACTLY the point!

Great job on everything! Having "fails" makes us better people!

Putting in the work to make new and different things or "perfect" a recipe or technique is why all of this is so enjoyable to me

Reactions: OldSmoke
Putting in the work to make new and different things or "perfect" a recipe or technique is why all of this is so enjoyable to me

Thanks for the like.

I enjoy perfecting too. This is the fifth version of my recipe, getting the marinade just right and dry rubbing a day ahead. I’m pretty happy with the taste.

I‘m also a constant tinkerer. My next project is to add PID control to my propane smoker.

Reactions: kilo charlie
Thanks for the like.

I enjoy perfecting too. This is the fifth version of my recipe, getting the marinade just right and dry rubbing a day ahead. I’m pretty happy with the taste.

I‘m also a constant tinkerer. My next project is to add PID control to my propane smoker.

Hopefully you document and share the PID project.. I'd be interested in learning!

Reactions: OldSmoke
The extra Heat on the grate is what changed things, just my guess.

That is also my guess. The other problem is laying the strips flat uses a lot of space.

Nice job across the board. I'd be interested in the Rub and Marinade you use.
Optimal Cheese Smoking Temp...50 to 80°F. Much higher an you will want a Big Pan of Macaroni under the Grates!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky