LavaRock Minion Method Basket Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gixxerfrk

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
Some time ago I had purchased a LavaRock Minion Method Basket on the recommendation of some people here because I was having trouble with thick, grey smoke using the baskets I had made when I first got my smoker.

I am using a Brinkmann Vertical Trailmaster w/side fire box. I can normally pull up to 330’ in 30-45 minutes no problem with my BBQ Guru CyberQ controller paired with two Pit Bull fans. After an hour of trying to pull up to a target temp of 325’ I was only able to reach a peak of 185’ and then fell to 180’ and stabilized there. I had also burned 1/3 of the coal by this point in a 12”x9”x6” basket. Realizing I wasn’t going to be able to get any hotter I aborted, pulled the basket, and installed my original baskets. In 30 minutes I had reached target temp.

While I am not sure why I was unable to reach temp, I am deeply disappointed in the results and can not recommend this product to anyone based on my personal experience.

I believe the brand name is Lava Lock and personally I wouldn't bother trying to cook in an offset with the minion method. You'll have better results with the coal basket in the bottom of the cook chamber rather than in the firebox. Or insulate your firebox and probably the cook chamber too.

Basically the minion method works by only having a small fire going, so you're not working with too many BTUs to start, then you lose a bunch of heat off the firebox before any smoke and heat reaches the cook chamber.

Usually you see the minion method used in true vertical cookers like the WSM, kamados, UDS, etc where all of the heat can travel up through the cooker. Offset firebox requires a bigger hotter fire, so either wood or lots of charcoal.

I believe the brand name is Lava Lock and personally I wouldn't bother trying to cook in an offset with the minion method. You'll have better results with the coal basket in the bottom of the cook chamber rather than in the firebox. Or insulate your firebox and probably the cook chamber too.

You are correct, it is LavaLock. My mistake.

Usually you see the minion method used in true vertical cookers like the WSM, kamados, UDS, etc where all of the heat can travel up through the cooker. Offset firebox requires a bigger hotter fire, so either wood or lots of charcoal.
This makes much more sense, wish that would have been explained before I bought it but oh well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky