Added a OK Joe basket to the arsenal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbstern

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 22, 2023
N. Georgia
Pondering firebox management, I thought having an OK Joe basket might be good for short, lump coal cooks for certain recipes. Had some ground beef that was going to be hamburgers yesterday, but that didn't happen. Not wanting to waste the meat, made some smoked chili tonight with the basket to contain my fire.

One chimney of lump coal, followed by a 1lb chunk of oak onto the hot coals gave me a steady 275 degrees, and pretty much a no-management fire for about 90 minutes, with very clear smoke. Cooked my chili. Got a mild, smoky flavor, not quite as intense as a pure wood fire, but really good for the convenience. No more effort than cooking on a gas stove. Zero smoker cleanup, other than the cold ashes tomorrow.

Really liked how easy the basket made it.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky