Korean Kalbi Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I’ve smoked short ribs many times but never prepared the flanken style cut. Decided to change that this weekend. Korean flavors were the ticket. Appetizer- CrIspy Enoki mushroom pancake with a Korean BBQ aioli. Entree - Korean Kalbi ribs with stir fried “noodles” and steamed broccoli. The ribs were marinated overnight in a tamari ginger marinade. The bbq sauce is sugar free and homemade. It was used to make the aioli as well. Noodles are konjac noodles seasoned with sesame oil and a little five spice. The flour in the pancake is a blend of coconut and almond. They only have enough flour and egg to hold the Enoki mushrooms together. Noodles ribs and pancakes
25029994-6648-4656-863F-2F55401E5465.jpeg
DBEF07A3-B23F-45F9-A511-FDBBE29B85A2.jpeg
E35B2F7C-671B-46CA-AE7E-BCC5196858E5.jpeg
were perfect for the Blackstone griddle.

OMG'osh!
I want the Crispy Enoki Pancakes, they look so good!
Heck, it all looks good but the Enoki pancakes look fabulous.
Thanks Chile! They were a first for me. I bought a couple packs on clearance because they just look cool lol. Had to figure out something to do with them. I liked them even with their chewy texture I thought the flavor was really nice. My wife was not into the texture of the Enoki.

I'm lost.... looks delicious but what happened to bones?... I want to learn this recipe...
Look closely you will see circular bones. Flanken is a thin cross cut of the short ribs. I didn’t really use a recipe forcthe marinade. Just mixed some tamari with some sesame oil and ginger. The sauce I make is roughly. 1 and 1/2 cups Tamari
1/2 cup of water
1 3/4 cups Swerve Brown
4 TBSP minced garlic
3 TBSP rice vinegar
2 TBSP spicy chili garlic sauce
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp fresh grated ginger. You can sub in regular brown sugar and you can use soy instead of Tamari. I just seared them very hot and glazed with it a little at the end. The aioli was just mayo and this mixed to taste. That is off the hook!! Going to put it on a burger tomorrow lol.

That looks incredibly awesome! I love those ribs. We have a family member from S Korea who makes them and they’re just out of bounds.

Also I’ve never heard of enoki mushrooms until this post. Pretty cool looking things.

Reactions: jcam222
Man that all looks good! Those cakes I bet were delicious! And look at the colors on that plate! Beautiful Jeff!

Wow Jeff...another spectacular, breathtaking, magazine quality, 5-star meal. I think you could take a bag of dry Alpo dog food and make an incredible meal out of it. All of that is just stunning buddy. Great job!!

Robert

Looks great my crew likes Korean flavors. I'm out of Pepper Flakes and Pepper Paste. Amazon is the only place I can find the Mild versions online. And it comes and goes quickly. Not enough Asian Folks of any kind to warrant a grocery store, but it's beautiful out here...JJ

Another fantastic cook Jeff, Like! I have no idea what over half the ingredients are, and no doubt I'd be thrilled to be pulling out a chair to sit down to that meal. RAY

That's a whole mess of deliciousness right there. Job well done Jeff.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks good! Might be something you would order at a gourmet restaurant.
I usually use the English cut of short rib instead of flanken. To prepare for galbi, slice ribs parallel with bone (butterfly) and unfold into long strips about 1/2" thick, score with knife, marinade, grill, eat.

I gonna have to try that pancake. Gonna stop at 99 Ranch see if they have Enoki Mushroom .
Heck only $1.29 a package. I am thinking toss with about 1 Tbsp each flour, maybe add green onion and mix in some whisked egg. Sound about right? I also bought some more white radish. I wonder if those could be vacuum packed?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky