Korean Flanken ribs with the kettle vortex

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
I have to admit I never heard of flanken ribs until I read thirdeye thirdeye post the other day. I was in one of the local grocery chain stores and happen to pass them @ $7.99/lb. knowing all the beef prices this is about as cheap as anything available. These where labeled chuck flanken with choice grade designation.
So I was going to do them Korean style on the kettle with a couple of low carb sides.
IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

Although thirdeye thirdeye made his own marinade it was close enough to the bottle of bibgo I had around at the recommendation of Bearcarver Bearcarver who got his reco from TNJAKE TNJAKE . Since most of my day was chores of changing the water in the hot tub, washing cars and walking on the roof fixing some wind damage siding I did not have a ton of time to make the marinade.

On a side note, even though I spent 15 years as a volunteer fireman (25 years ago) I have totally lost my taste for heights and I was only on the lower roof.
IMG_3699.jpg

Anyway, into the zip lock for about 6 hours
IMG_3700.jpg

Onto the sides, first up is an Asian smashed cucumber salad. English cucumber, garlic, ginger, soy, a little salt and pepper, toasted sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, a very little bit of sugar and a few dashes of hot chili oil.
Once the cucumbers are peeled, I used a bigger knife on it's side to smash the cucumber, then cube them up.
IMG_3701.jpg

into the bowl they go to allow the dressing to really soak into the smashed cucumbers.
IMG_3702.jpg

The next side was a baby bok choy stir fry. Started with about a pound of baby bok choy, cut the bottoms off and washed thoroughly trying to keep the pieces some what even in size.
Into the wok, with some avocado oil, garlic, soy and pepper. Sauteed for 3-5 minutes until the leaf wilts and the stems are soft-crunchy if that makes sense? I did not get any pics of this step as I turned this over to the wife while I went to tend to the kettle.
IMG_3703.jpg

Started the coals to go into the upside down vortex on the kettle.
IMG_3704.jpg

I knew this was going to be a really fast cook, threw them over the vortex and oh my, the smell was ridiculous.
IMG_3705.jpg
u
Pulled after only a few minutes total and onto a plate for a rest.
IMG_3706.jpg

All plated up and ready to eat
IMG_3707.jpg

The taste was amazing but I think the cut was definitely not as good as thirdeye thirdeye had in his post, there was a bunch of fat to eat around, not what I was expecting. Maybe because it was chuck? I am going to order some from Wildfork that are not chuck just to compare. The cucumber salad was a keeper, the bok choy was good, but I would definitely kick it up with more flavor next time. First time using the vortex (only second total cook on the kettle) but I can see why everyone here loves the kettle's versatility.

Thanks for looking -Cliff

Great looking meal.. And the sides sound great too. I tell ya, the more you use the kettle the more in love with it you will fall! And I totally understand what you mean about heights. As I've gotten older I've learned I dont bounce like I used to. So I stay off ladders and roofs!
jim

Great looking meal.. And the sides sound great too. I tell ya, the more you use the kettle the more in love with it you will fall! And I totally understand what you mean about heights. As I've gotten older I've learned I dont bounce like I used to. So I stay off ladders and roofs!
jim
Thanks, I am really liking it so far. I have the rotisserie coming today and coal baskets with a hook on liquid tray coming tomorrow. If the weather cooperates I am going to do an untrimmed tri tip (from frozen) brisket style.

I actually climbed out the second story window to get onto the roof. no more Christmas lights on the second floor. I used to have the icicle lights on the gutters and surround all the windows with lights. Now it is first floor and front shrubs.

Reactions: JLeonard
No more roofs for me either. I fell off ours about 20 years ago, and now I get a wicked case of rubber knees when I climb the ladder to paint the trim.

On to the post. Well just look at that young fella go. Those ribs look fabulous to me. I've never done flanken ribs, but would think a slower smoke then sear would rid them of the chewiness.
Anyway Great Job.

Point for sure
Chris

The taste was amazing but I think the cut was definitely not as good as thirdeye thirdeye thirdeye thirdeye had in his post, there was a bunch of fat to eat around, not what I was expecting. Maybe because it was chuck?
Wow, you had a lot of flavors going on, that's for sure. I've never tried the 4-bone chuck flanken ribs, but have cooked the full size version. The ribs I cooked were the 3-bone ribs which have thicker meat. I actually go my looks more than anything, luckly my Sam's Club will have 8 or 10 packages to choose from.

Reactions: clifish
Wow, you had a lot of flavors going on, that's for sure. I've never tried the 4-bone chuck flanken ribs, but have cooked the full size version. The ribs I cooked were the 3-bone ribs which have thicker meat. I actually go my looks more than anything, luckly my Sam's Club will have 8 or 10 packages to choose from.
only had 2 to choose from and did not know what I was really looing for. I just left restaurant depot and they had full chuck ribs 15% off...again was not sure so I passed. are chuck ribs the same as Dino ribs or are there different kinds?

Heck yeah bud looks amazing. Like thirdeye thirdeye I get the 3 bone. Virtually no fat after they are cooked
Are they called anything different than the ones I bought?

Actually looking at Wildfork and they have 3 bones and the 4 bones called chuck, I am going to order a few of those in prime with my next order.

Thanks for the likes and advice everyone, much appreciated.

Heck yeah bud looks amazing. Like thirdeye thirdeye I get the 3 bone. Virtually no fat after they are cooked
The fat that does remain is like that crunchy delicious ribeye fat
Yeah, the turn and burn, hot and fast sizzle kind of thing.

Are they called anything different than the ones I bought?

Actually looking at Wildfork and they have 3 bones and the 4 bones called chuck, I am going to order a few of those in prime with my next order.
They have so many different names across the US. I've referred to the chuck 4-bone plate ribs as Dino, and the 3-rib plate ribs as Bronto. But those are just my nicknames. Bottom line....no matter what you call the 3-rib plate section, they are huge. Heck, the bone is 10" or so.
af6oLmR.jpg

Reactions: clifish and TNJAKE
Yeah, the turn and burn, hot and fast sizzle kind of thing.

They have so many different names across the US. I've referred to the chuck 4-bone plate ribs as Dino, and the 3-rib plate ribs as Bronto. But those are just my nicknames. Bottom line....no matter what you call the 3-rib plate section, they are huge. Heck, the bone is 10" or so.
View attachment 529268
So something like this?

or this

Those are the correct cut for flanken ribs. Don't spend the extra on prime unless you are gonna smoke them like dino ribs. The choice will have good marble

Reactions: clifish
I was thinking the whole dino in prime. After seeing Sowsage Sowsage and many others I want to do them. What is your opinion on how many pounds to feed 4 adults? I don't think 1 - 5.5lb rack would be enough?

I was thinking the whole dino in prime. After seeing Sowsage Sowsage and many others I want to do them. What is your opinion on how many pounds to feed 4 adults? I don't think 1 - 5.5lb rack would be enough?
I agree with TNJAKE TNJAKE .. I would do two racks... They are big but lime a brisket they will shrink down a lot....and its delicious!!
The ones ice posted on here were the 3 bone... I got them at sams club.. When I see them in the case sliced like the ones you did here I know they have them whole in the back.. Usually 3 racks in a cryovac pack.. And you will be good with the choice... Not sure I would go for the prime... Keep that prime money for the ribeyes😉

Reactions: TNJAKE and clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky