KCBS Certified Barbeque Judge Class

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grampyskids

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 26, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Just got back from the 6 hour KCBS CBJ class in Sacramento CA. It was well worth the $45 fee. There was a combination of Competition Teams (about 50% of the class) and just plain folks like me. We learned what it takes to judge a competition within the categories of Appearance, Taste and Texture. Our categories were Chicken, Pork, Brisket and Ribs. It was an enlightening experience. We got to taste and judge all categories.

So.what did I as a backyard Q'er gain from this? I will now be a tiny bit more critical of my smokes so that my family gets a better product. I will hold my self to a higher standard.

After the Class ended, the local teams that cooked for us were judged by the experienced Judges. The swing in Judges tastes and ratings were about the same as mine were. Some judges were tough and some a little more liberal. I was a little intiminated at first but I am looking forward to judging my first comp.

Well Bill, if you learned anything 45 dollars is cheap.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Give it time.
biggrin.gif
They usually have them in Southern California. Sacramento is two hours south of me. Definitely the closest one I have seen but it just didn't work out for me to go.
icon_redface.gif

Dave

Just took the KCBS judging class at Meadow Creek welding in PA. They sure do make some nice looking smokers. It was stated by the KCBS rep that this was the largest judging class ever with 150 in attendance.

we got lucky and the president of the KCBS taught our class, they tricked us with red spinach, pooled some sauce once, all the little tricks that should get a guy disqualified, one chicken was very spicy and a 360 lb(at least) grollywog women claimed it was unetible and a 2, another older guy was 9 on just about every one, kinda funny, one old lady flat out said she rates sliced port higher than pulled which made Mike mad, appartently he don't put sliced in his box LOL. Glad you had a good time, ours was $50 for the class so you got a good deal.

I have my KCBS judging class this weekend in Des Moines, IA, sounds like you guys got off pretty cheap mine cost 95 bucks, but does include membership to the KCBS.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky