• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Just some homemade wieners

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
DDD18ED2-C0C1-45DE-B38C-162546E1B8A8.jpeg

These are delicious. Hope to encourage more of you to make them. I use the same recipe, basically, for these and frankfurter and 5” bologna. It is delicious. These are in lamb casing. Cleaning out the freezer. Have a new emulsifier coming in the mail. Going to do a lot more dogs this fall.

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Man those look great!

You know, I have tried about 4 different recipes and for me nothing comes close to the LEM's Backwoods Cured Franks seasoning.
If you ever get your hands on a 5 pound seasoning pack and compare it vs yours I'd love to know what you think of it :)

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Man those look great!

You know, I have tried about 4 different recipes and for me nothing comes close to the LEM's Backwoods Cured Franks seasoning.
If you ever get your hands on a 5 pound seasoning pack and compare it vs yours I'd love to know what you think of it :)
Be interesting for sure. These are Coney Island stupid good.

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Man you are tempting me to defrost some of mine and grill them hahaha. My dinner was a little skimpy so I could definitely go for a couple of links with mustard right now :)
Yes Sir. Fabulous sausage.

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Man those look off the hook good!! I know I’d eat eat to many haha.

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Man you are tempting me to defrost some of mine and grill them hahaha. My dinner was a little skimpy so I could definitely go for a couple of links with mustard right now :)
They look really good, nice work !
Man those look off the hook good!! I know I’d eat eat to many haha.
Thank you guys. I was just cleaning the freezer and discovered these and knew I was roasting them for supper. I have one of those Champion juicers coming in the next couple days which will make the emulsifying much easier. Will make more.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Looks real good . Beef and pork ?
I use Weiner sausage seasoning from TSM . I like the Lamb casings . What size are they ?

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Those look Mighty Tasty from the Bear's Den!!
Yummm---Love me some Homemade Dogs!!
Like.

Bear

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
These are pork.
Ok . 2 guesses in 2 days , wrong both times .
First ones I did I added some phosphate at about 1/2 the rate . Used skinless 25 mm casings .
Gonna open up a vac pack of pork cushion today . I just might revisit a small batch . I have sheep casings too . I think 22 mm .

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Looks good. I'm interested in how the Juicer Emulsifies the meat...JJ

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Per 1 kg of pork final grind 1/8” plate. Season then emulsify.
Salt- 18g
Cure #1- 2.5g
sugar- 2.0g
granulated garlic- 1.5g
onion powder- 1.5g
white pepper- 1.5g
erythorbate- 0.7g
phosphate- 4.0g

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Looks good. I'm interested in how the Juicer Emulsifies the meat...JJ
The Champion juicer is what is used, it a masticating juicer, was designed in the 50’s and hasn’t been changed. Look it up on YouTube. Makes a perfect emulsion of ground meat. And much better than a food processor and much more practical than a bowl cutter in the kitchen.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
They look awesome!!
Al

boykjo

Sausage maker
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 28, 2010
Great looking hot dogs... Some info for ya, I have made hotdogs with pork and beef, some more pork than beef and some more beef than pork and IMO just using pork alone
was the best. You can add some uncured pork fatback with the skin off to the pork at 30%. The juicer will do a great job.

Boykjo

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.