Just My Luck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

martin1950

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Hartford. S/W Michigan
Just my luck. Spent three days thawing 17# of pork butts in a cooler in the garage for a church chili cook-off. Knowing that everyone else would be using beef, beef/sausage or venison meats in their chili I was thinking of mixing it up just a little. Now my better-half tells me that the Pastor, who was going to host the all day event at his house on the lake, has canceled the event due to the threat of the EEE infections here in S/W MI. Guess I'll just thaw out some of my flame grilled maters and peppers and continue with plan "A" and just freeze a large amount of chili for a later day. So about 0500hrs Wednesday these will be on my 820D. At least I'll enjoy some fresh chili this week.

I'd do a plan B. Smoke all the pork. Then make some chili, some pulled pork etc. Then you'll have a bit of variety this winter. Sorry the event was cancelled. Mosquitoes are evil.

Well after 10 & 1/2 hrs they finally hit IT. Actually got my PB to go low/slow. The 1st. 4 hrs ran at 160-170* solidly. Bumped it to 225* for the next 2 hrs open then foiled and finished. Rested for 2 hrs and pulled. Bagged and froze it all in 4 cup bags for future meals. Being empty nesters this might take us a day or too to eat.
20190925_144239_resized.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky