It's been a long winter.. First smoke in a long time.. Prime Rib Roast

Discussion in 'Beef' started by seaham358, Feb 27, 2011.

1. seaham358

seaham358 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Lots of snow here in NY and it's been real cold also, so my smoking was on hold for a few months.

I had a 4lb boneless prime rib roast in the freezer almost 6 months so I figured it was time to do some smoking

with a couple sunny days we were getting.  Rubbed her down with EVOO and instead of the Kosher salt and black pepper I went with some Bad Byrons butt rub..

[​IMG]

Cooked til it was 140 and then foiled for 20 min

[​IMG]

Very moist and a perfect med rare for me. The ends were  on the med side

[​IMG]

A couple taters smoked to perfection.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  2. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Don't post the "IMG" code post the "Direct Link" code. Also don't past it directly into the post click on the "Insert image" button in the tool bar and paste it in there under the "IMG URL"

3. seaham358

thanks, I used to be able to just post the link in the text.. Things have changed..

4. seaham358

Any ideas for the left over meat?  I was thinking for dicing or chopping up and adding to tomato sauce for paste?

thanks  Bob

5. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That looks Great seaham.

Can't be much left over---I like to fire up the gas grill real hot.

Then flip the leftovers a couple minutes on each side, just enough to warm the inside and make the outside bubble.

If you can't do that, you could stick them in a foil pan in the toaster oven & do the same thing---warm the inside & bubble the outsides.

Bear

6. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Looks delicious!!!

Craig

7. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I would slice it real thin and put it on some nice crusty rolls with some carmelized onions and provolone cheese.  Heat under the broiler then dip in some aujus made from this

[​IMG]

8. Excellent way to start your smoking season...looks Great !!! [​IMG]

9. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

that looks wonderful

10. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yea now there are pictures. Great looking meal there. I just reheat it in the microwave and eat it the same way. But I do like the french dip idea as well.

11. seaham358

French dip sounds good, I have to get to the store and see what kind of dipping sauce we have around here. 

Thanks all

12. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

Man that Q looks real good nice job.. Yes been a cold long winter in new york i will be happy to see green grass sunny and 75..

13. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great looking roast! I vote for thin slicing & sammies!