Italian Wedding Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Yesterday, I made some Italian Wedding Soup with homemade meatballs to eat for dinners this week. I knew it was going to be a pretty dreary couple of days, so soup sounded perfect. I was pleased with how the meatballs came out. These are almost up there with my Gram's meatballs. I'll never make them like her just for the fact that it's her cooking but these are pretty darn close.

Almost-Gram's Meatballs

1lb. lean ground beef
1lb. ground pork or mild Italian sausage
2 eggs
4 garlic cloves, grated to a paste
1/4c. grated onion
1/2c. finely chopped fresh parsley
2 slices of white bread, crust removed and torn into pieces
1c. Pecorino Romano cheese freshly grated
Splash of milk
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Start by adding parsley, grated onion and garlic, eggs and bread to a bowl. Pour a splash of milk over the bread and season with salt and pepper.
IMG_5597.jpg

Mix all ingredients together until a loose paste forms.
IMG_5598.jpg

Add ground beef, pork and cheese.
IMG_5599.jpg

Lightly mix by hand. Don't overwork the mix.
IMG_5600.jpg

Shape into balls. Lightly wet your hands when the meat starts sticking to you. Since these were made with the intention of soup, they were made smaller. 55 of them made the tray.
IMG_5602 (1).jpg

The ones that didn't make the tray got baked in the oven for a snack while I cut the vegetables.
IMG_5601 (1).jpg

Now for the soup. I used:
6 carrots
6 ribs of celery
1 onion diced
3 garlic cloves
4qts of chicken broth (I used Chicken Bone Broth)
I large bunch of escarole, washed and chopped
Italian seasoning
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1 box of Acini de Pepe pasta (Added the next day)

Start by browning your meatballs. Place some olive oil in the bottom of a soup pot and working in batches, brown the meatballs a few minutes each side. Add more olive oil as needed. These will finish cooking in the soup. You can skip this step if desired and add the raw meatballs directly to the broth. I'm looking for added extra flavor so I decided to brown them.
IMG_5604.jpg

Set the meatballs off to the side when done and then add your carrots, celery and onion to the pot. The vegetables should steam and lift up and browned bits stuck to the bottom. Add a splash of broth if needed. Cook the vegetables until slightly softened, about 6-7 minutes. Afterwards add the minced garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes.
IMG_5605.jpg

After vegetables have softened, add chicken stock and seasonings and bring to a boil.
IMG_5606.jpg

After the broth has come to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and add meatballs. They will float when finished, this only takes a few minutes if you browned them beforehand.
IMG_5609.jpg

Here's the escarole chopped up and ready to add to the soup. Escarole is bitter when raw but loses it's bitterness when cooked. Spinach, endive, chard or kale can be substituted here although escarole is traditional.
IMG_5607.jpg

Escarole is added to the soup. Cover and let cook a few minutes.
IMG_5610.jpg

Here's the finished soup with the Acini de Pepe pasta. Delicious!! Served it with some buttered bread on the side. I added some grated Pecorino Romano to the top but it melted before I could take a picture, so I just mixed it in before taking this photo.
IMG_5616.jpg

Note: This soup was made with the intention of eating it a few days for dinner so the pasta was made separately today. If you are serving immediately, you can add the pasta once you bring the broth to a boil. Once cooled, the pasta will continue to absorb the broth resulting in a thickened and gloopy stew. Make the pasta separate if you want to avoid this. Also if using spinach, you can add it the next day when reheating. It's not as firm as escarole so it will wither pretty badly after being reheated a few days.

Thanks for looking.

Joe

You had me at meatballs Joe!! That spoil looks great. I like browning my meats before putting in soups too. Very nicely laid out post for people to follow.

Yum, love the meatballs and similar to my recipe. I bake my meatballs which browns them fairly well

Don't like wedding soup.
I finished my last bowl of minestrone meatball soup for lunch today.

Looks delicious. My Mother in Law makes that but adds homemade crouton like bread squares as she serves the soup. Otherwise almost the exact same. Love it on holidays.

Looks great Joe! I'd take a bowl or three! I need to try your meatball recipe. Mine is the same except I use just sausage. Wonder how they differ taste wise?

You had me at meatballs Joe!! That spoil looks great. I like browning my meats before putting in soups too. Very nicely laid out post for people to follow.

Thanks Jeff, I like doing the same. It’s a good post for me to refer back to.

Yum, love the meatballs and similar to my recipe. I bake my meatballs which browns them fairly well

Don't like wedding soup.
I finished my last bowl of minestrone meatball soup for lunch today.

Thanks FA, I like throwing my meatballs in the oven too because I rarely fry anything. Much easier to deal with. These were browned for the sole purpose of the soup.

Looks delicious. My Mother in Law makes that but adds homemade crouton like bread squares as she serves the soup. Otherwise almost the exact same. Love it on holidays.

Thanks MJ, the croutons sound like a good addition. I always like bread with my soup so if it’s on the side or in the soup it’s a win for me.

Looks great Joe! I'd take a bowl or three! I need to try your meatball recipe. Mine is the same except I use just sausage. Wonder how they differ taste wise?

Thanks Steve they came out excellent! As far as I remember, my gram used just beef in her meatballs and they were out of this world. I could be wrong though since they haven’t been made in over 10 years. She passed in March but had pretty severe dementia. At her service, the pastor even brought up her meatballs in her eulogy, so that gave us a nice chuckle.

Most of the recipes are pretty similar, throw half ground beef in next time and give them a try.

Fantastic looking!!! I am coping this one. We do like our wedding soup here.... Thx.

Thank you sir! Both the meatballs and soup are a keeper in my book. I haven’t had a good bowl of wedding soup in ages, I just had to change that.

That looks delicious Joe!
Al

Thanks Al! It’s been a good couple of days for it. I think cold weather and rain make it taste better too.

looks great Joe, been a long time since i had that soup, now i want some!

Thanks Jim! It was a while here but I‘ll make it more often. No holiday or celebration needed.

I might even make some more meatballs and freeze so it’s one less thing to do next time.

That looks to be a really nice piece of work Joe, soup that'd fill you up on a cold day back east, Like! RAY

Yesterday, I made some Italian Wedding Soup with homemade meatballs to eat for dinners this week. I knew it was going to be a pretty dreary couple of days, so soup sounded perfect. I was pleased with how the meatballs came out. These are almost up there with my Gram's meatballs. I'll never make them like her just for the fact that it's her cooking but these are pretty darn close.

Almost-Gram's Meatballs

1lb. lean ground beef
1lb. ground pork or mild Italian sausage
2 eggs
4 garlic cloves, grated to a paste
1/4c. grated onion
1/2c. finely chopped fresh parsley
2 slices of white bread, crust removed and torn into pieces
1c. Pecorino Romano cheese freshly grated
Splash of milk
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Start by adding parsley, grated onion and garlic, eggs and bread to a bowl. Pour a splash of milk over the bread and season with salt and pepper.
View attachment 466606

Mix all ingredients together until a loose paste forms.
View attachment 466605

Add ground beef, pork and cheese.
View attachment 466604

Lightly mix by hand. Don't overwork the mix.
View attachment 466603

Shape into balls. Lightly wet your hands when the meat starts sticking to you. Since these were made with the intention of soup, they were made smaller. 55 of them made the tray.
View attachment 466602

The ones that didn't make the tray got baked in the oven for a snack while I cut the vegetables.
View attachment 466601

Now for the soup. I used:
6 carrots
6 ribs of celery
1 onion diced
3 garlic cloves
4qts of chicken broth (I used Chicken Bone Broth)
I large bunch of escarole, washed and chopped
Italian seasoning
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1 box of Acini de Pepe pasta (Added the next day)

Start by browning your meatballs. Place some olive oil in the bottom of a soup pot and working in batches, brown the meatballs a few minutes each side. Add more olive oil as needed. These will finish cooking in the soup. You can skip this step if desired and add the raw meatballs directly to the broth. I'm looking for added extra flavor so I decided to brown them.
View attachment 466600

Set the meatballs off to the side when done and then add your carrots, celery and onion to the pot. The vegetables should steam and lift up and browned bits stuck to the bottom. Add a splash of broth if needed. Cook the vegetables until slightly softened, about 6-7 minutes. Afterwards add the minced garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes.
View attachment 466599

After vegetables have softened, add chicken stock and seasonings and bring to a boil.
View attachment 466598

After the broth has come to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and add meatballs. They will float when finished, this only takes a few minutes if you browned them beforehand.
View attachment 466596

Here's the escarole chopped up and ready to add to the soup. Escarole is bitter when raw but loses it's bitterness when cooked. Spinach, endive, chard or kale can be substituted here although escarole is traditional.
View attachment 466597

Escarole is added to the soup. Cover and let cook a few minutes.
View attachment 466595

Here's the finished soup with the Acini de Pepe pasta. Delicious!! Served it with some buttered bread on the side. I added some grated Pecorino Romano to the top but it melted before I could take a picture, so I just mixed it in before taking this photo.
View attachment 466594

Note: This soup was made with the intention of eating it a few days for dinner so the pasta was made separately today. If you are serving immediately, you can add the pasta once you bring the broth to a boil. Once cooled, the pasta will continue to absorb the broth resulting in a thickened and gloopy stew. Make the pasta separate if you want to avoid this. Also if using spinach, you can add it the next day when reheating. It's not as firm as escarole so it will wither pretty badly after being reheated a few days.

Thanks for looking.

Joe
I agree, this looks good! Great job!

That looks to be a really nice piece of work Joe, soup that'd fill you up on a cold day back east, Like! RAY

Thanks Ray! It was a nice few days for soup. I probably have two more dinners out of it.

I agree, this looks good! Great job!

Thank you Yankee. It sure was good.

Soup looks awesome Joe! Great step by step too. Fairly easy and delicious? Cant be that! Will be giving it a try soon.

Thanks John, it is fairly easy. The meatballs take the longest...but you could cheat and use premade or frozen ones. The recipe for the meatballs is a good one if you ever just want to make them without a soup.

Joe, what a great write-up and photo journey. I haven't made it in a while but you've inspired me!

Ray

Thanks Ray. I tried to make it easy to follow along for next time because I’m sure I’d forget something! Let me know how it comes out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky