It’s that Corned Beef time of year!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
So corned beef flats are on sale this week. I’m deliberating how I’d want to prepare. Last time I used the Instant Pot, and it came out great. Have seen some threads here about smoking it. Lately, I’ve fallen in love with my sous vide setup, and thinking of giving that a go. The downside is I can’t put the cabbage in there with it due to space constraints and widely different time requirements.

I know how hard it is to get opinions here :emoji_wink: but be brave ... whaddya think?

I would just cook the cabbage seperatley if ya want to use the sv. there's your first opinion. :emoji_confused:

:emoji_blush:

Thought something similar ... first do the flat in SV, then use the juices to braise the cabbage.
Also thinking about slicing texture vs pulled beef texture.

Maybe this is like boats and grills ... you have to have at least 3 flats :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: Fueling Around
I like sous vide for a lot of things but I'd still go with the insta-pot for corned beef & cabbage. Cabbage really wants flavor from the corned beef.

Reactions: chopsaw
My wife boils the p--- , uh excess salt out of corned beef. She doesn't use the juice to braise the cabbage, either.
Texture of the beef is just fine for thin slicing or thick slicing for chunking. I prefer thin slicing the meat.
I'm not a boiled or braised cabbage fan.

My choice is low and slow for the corned beef remove from pot add tatters then cabbage.
Lots of sales this week I will be buying cabbage all out of kraut.
Richie

Reactions: sawhorseray
I do it all in one big pot, low and slow. First the CB for about two hours, add the taters, 15 minutes later the carrots. Pull the CB at the 2:45 mark to let it rest and toss in the cabbage for 15 minutes, 3 hours total. I'm seeing CB's for $2.99lb, about as good as it gets. RAY

Reactions: tropics
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky