Is my LEM a LEMON???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
I spent a bunch of time researching here and other places, over two years of time, prior to purchasing my stuffer. I own ither LEM products and have never had any issues.

First issue I mentioned after my first use, the metal shavings at the gear assembly. Tried again today and it's getting worse.

One of the main selling points for me was the stainless tubes. Got done today and started to clean. Thought I wasn't getting a good scrub. Nope inside of the large tube is rusting. After first use I hand washed and dried immediately after. Stored dry in original box.

Right now I'm not happy with this LEMon. Customer service will be getting a call.

DS, looks like the Chinese had a bad day when that one was made.
icon_eek.gif

Reactions: sawhorseray
Pardon my French, but DAMN!! I feel bad for you man. I've had the Lem 5lber on my short list for a while, sorry to hear it's not working out for you. How the heck to they get stainless to rust? I'd say give them a call, send them pictures and a link to this thread and let them decide whether this turns out to be a customer service success story or a nightmare. For them.

I've had their plates rust and metal in the grinder auger stud that I mentioned in another thread was so crappy that it was rubbing away....easily rubbed a groove in the stud.
I won't buy from LEM again!

Last edited:
That Just Aint Right Case!!!

I was gonna get the LEM because it had the metal gears, and the Northern didn't.

Then Paul "BeerBQ" told me get the Northern, and if the plastic gears break or wear, you can replace them with steel gears, and it's still cheaper.

I got the Northern for under $100 & the plastic gears have been fine so far. We don't use it as much as some of you guys.

I would think LEM would make up for it with you!!!!

Bear

464504fb48298e6501763d7148299e80.jpg

5aef509568727465ac41976315a8bf8a.jpg

be3e2be254d35e84f8fad2be3ecd83c6.jpg

I have ran less than 20 pounds through this so far. That is what the brass washer loos like.

Smoke away!!!

Well, there you go.
I don't like the LEM 5 lb. stuffer, but I haven't mentioned that here because so many folks seem to like it. I absolutely HATE it!!!!!
The Grizzly was a better stuffer..except for the plastic gears.
I regret selling it.
I may buy another Grizzly and add metal gears.

Last edited:
That Just Aint Right Case!!!

I was gonna get the LEM because it had the metal gears, and the Northern didn't.

Then Paul "BeerBQ" told me get the Northern, and if the plastic gears break or wear, you can replace them with steel gears, and it's still cheaper.

I got the Northern for under $100 & the plastic gears have been fine so far. We don't use it as much as some of you guys.

I would think LEM would make up for it with you!!!!

Bear
Where could one buy steel gears for Northern? I don't see them breaking anytime soon (and I got a spare set) but ...just in case.

Something isn't right, shouldn't be eating up the brass washer like that, I call and email pictures and tell you post on this forum, I'll be they make it right

Gary

Well, there you go.
I don't like the LEM 5 lb. stuffer, but I haven't mentioned that here because so many folks seem to like it. I absolutely HATE it!!!!!
The Grizzly was a better stuffer..except for the plastic gears.
I regret selling it.
I may buy another Grizzly and add metal gears.

If there was a grizzly store here inwould've Walke din and bought one! I have never had any issues with any of their eood working equipment.

I eomt be buying the LEM grinder I can tell you that much.

I have the same one , no trouble here , works great so far . I went and looked at mine to see the location of the brass washer . I would guess that the lash of the gear on the threaded rod is incorrect , and as you crank the handle it tightens up on itself . Call them , I bet They make good on it , Might be a known problem that was fixed in a newer model , and you have a new old stock item . 

Where could one buy steel gears for Northern? I don't see them breaking anytime soon (and I got a spare set) but ...just in case.
I don't remember. That was a long time ago. I'm not even sure they were actually from Northern. They just fit in that particular stuffer.

I left it go in my mind because mine is still like new. As long as you don't go nuts when you bottom out, the plastic gears seem to hold up.

Bear

DS, sorry to hear about your problems with the LEM. I have both a grinder and stuffer from them and so far have had no issues. Hope you get it resolved soon.

I have the 15 lb gander mountain stuffer....Great price $219...... No problems... I'm hard on it too... havent even lubed it.....

As for steel gears for the Northern Tool stuffer... Northern Tool doesn't offer any (don't know about any aftermarket parts).. I just bought some replacement gears (plastic) for mine... The lady said she wished they did offer steel.. as it would make it easier on her (not so many calls)...

As for steel gears for the Northern Tool stuffer... Northern Tool doesn't offer any (don't know about any aftermarket parts).. I just bought some replacement gears (plastic) for mine... The lady said she wished they did offer steel.. as it would make it easier on her (not so many calls)...
Yeah, I didn't think the steel gears were from Northern. Paul had said he got them & they fit, but I don't remember where he got them. That was a long time ago, and we lost Paul since. RIP "BeerBQ"

Bear

Yeah, I didn't think the steel gears were from Northern. Paul had said he got them & they fit, but I don't remember where he got them. That was a long time ago, and we lost Paul since. RIP "BeerBQ"

Bear
RIP Paul.. You are dearly missed

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky