Is it possible to "slow down" cooking in a smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
I have a 4.5 lb pork loin in my MES right now (It's currently 4pm). I was hoping to eat at 5:30, but my temp is 137. I turned down the cooking temp to 215. Is there anything else I can do to slow it down? Should I still pull it at 140 and let it rest covered?

Pull at 140-143. Then wrap in foil followed by wrapping in towels or newspaper. Put in smallest cooler that it fits in. Pile more towels or paper on top. Close lid to rest until ready to eat

Reactions: pi guy
Pull at 140-143. Then wrap in foil followed by wrapping in towels or newspaper. Put in smallest cooler that it fits in. Pile more towels or paper on top. Close lid to rest until ready to eat

Awesome, thank you! I'll post a couple pics, this is my first pork loin (at least I don't think I've done one before).

I used this recipe for the rub that I found here (thanks, smells delicious!). And here it is coming off the smoker. Currently foiled and wrapped in towels in a small cooler. The only coolers I had were in the garage (it's 30 degrees out). So before I put the loin in I sprayed the cooler with scalding hot water. No need to put it in what was basically a refrigerator LOL.
20181209_112215.jpg
20181209_161928.jpg

Reactions: SonnyE
Oh my goodness!
Did you drop it on the lawn on the way to the smoker?
It looks all..... prickly. :emoji_scream:

LOL!!! Yeah it looks pretty gnarly. It better look good on the inside. It's all that rosemary. I actually halved the rub recipe, but that was still too much.

How do you rub that on without getting splinters in your paws?

It's probably going to be phantasmagorical.:rolleyes:

Worked perfectly, thanks so much!

That there is a fine looking loin. Well done.

Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: pi guy
When Mrs Buzzy gets new bath towels I get the old hand me downs to use for wrapping & resting meats. Actually most of my smoking utensils (pans, cookie sheets, hot pads) r hand me downs.
Points on the fine looking loin

Thanks everyone!

Buzzy, I used our good dish towels and thought for sure I'd soak them, but I guess I had the foil just right so it didn't leak out.

If I start ruining the good dish towels there will be huge problems. Mama won't be happy LOL.

What a minute, wait a minute....
That's a donut.
A donut?
That's right, a donut.
Lookie right there in the middle. There's a hole in it.
Pork Donut.

Even so, looks like a delicious donut. ;)

What a minute, wait a minute....
That's a donut.
A donut?
That's right, a donut.
Lookie right there in the middle. There's a hole in it.
Pork Donut.

Even so, looks like a delicious donut. ;)

Puncture wound from when I slayed it in the wild.

Or the probe. Whatever. LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky