IR Thermometer recommendations?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas_Aldon

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 27, 2018
Oregon
I just received my RT-590 and smoked some tri tip. I also got to try out my new Chef Master 12,000 btu burner to sear.

Guess how surprised I was to see my cast iron with avocado oil that has a 500 degree smoking temp billowing smoke. Story made short, anybody have a recommendation for an infrared temp gun that can read up to an estimated 600 degrees or higher? Preferably nothing crazy expensive.

Last edited:
You are in luck, One of our sponsors here introduced one a year or two ago !
Been thinking of getting one myself. About the best price/specs I've seen especially with the current discount code shown on their site.

I'm leaning towards the Thermopen IR,
My abused pen from them has worked great for years, plus there products are made in England, not Asia.

I'm leaning towards the Thermopen IR,
My abused pen from them has worked great for years, plus there products are made in England, not Asia.

Neat concept. But the price though......

Neat concept. But the price though......
Yea I agree, but I paid close to a hundred for my pen 10-12 years ago, so in that respect it not a bad price. Only reason I haven't bought one is my pen is still working pretty good and don't need another one.

Those things are handy tools. But it's important to keep two things in mind, especially if you'll be using it for several tasks.

1- They measure surface temperature, not bulk temperature.

2- They usually assume an emissivity of about 0.95.
Whats that mean? It means that boiling water will measure to be 100C. However, the outer walls of the stainless steel pot that it's boiling in will measure in the 80s or 90s C. This is because, even though both things are at 100C, steal glows differently that water in IR frequencies.

Some units let you adjust the emissivity.
Its a good feature to have. The TP30 looks like a good option.

Last edited:
just remember infrared thermometers have their limitations distance, reflectiveness, all affect your readings

I just received my RT-590 and smoked some tri tip. I also got to try out my new Chef Master 12,000 btu burner to seat.

Guess how surprised I was to see my cast iron with avocado oil that has a 500 degree smoking temp billowing smoke. Story made short, anybody have a recommendation for an infrared temp gun that can read up to an estimated 600 degrees or higher? Preferably nothing crazy expensive.
I got mine from Northern tool alot cheaper and works great on my 28"Blackstone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky