Introducing the Smoked Pork Wellington!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Ok this post will have lots of pictures but I wanted to share this creation. I’ve never seen this rendition of a Wellington!

This is what I call the deluxe pulled pork Sami! AKA the Smoked Pork Wellington!
EB25FAF1-FAB0-465E-8489-9FEF4CFD9635.jpeg

The creation started yesterday with the smoking of a pork butt. It was fat trimmed, 45 degree scored, and seasoned with salt, stone ground mustard, and big bald BBQ rub..... smoked at 265 till IT 160 ish then in a covered pan till IT 200. It was then chilled and rested overnight. Here it is after the smoke.....it is the smaller one on the left.
C8823CDA-41DD-486F-864C-8C4A1A0303D0.jpeg

Here is the mushroom duxelles, it is blended baby bellas with some salt, pepper, and red pepper for some heat. It is cooked on mid heat for about 20 min till it is almost dry. Once done a couple of tbs of chopped green onion is mixed in and then it is chilled.
9FE24E20-5170-422E-B553-452158A162CC.jpeg

The pork was cut into 4ths and then brushed with a Champaign Dijon mustard then wrapped in prosciutto and the duxelles with plastic and then in the fridge for 30 min to set.
1EBAA0E2-6C1D-4930-91C7-6F8E18299E37.jpeg

After that it is wrapped in a sheet puff pastry that has been egg washed
80725DF7-3138-4B76-9AC7-5EE426B5706C.jpeg

it is wrapped in plastic again and chilled in the fridge for at least another 30 min.
61E70DCA-5AB7-4E4F-8279-51EE859DADD4.jpeg

after it’s chill it is egg washed and scored in a pattern.
FE67F400-9377-49B3-A27A-C2F7F45F5C09.jpeg

I sure could take some more time with my knife skills! Especially for a knife guy....
13273C3E-4F9A-4218-B49D-B5C86B41F78E.jpeg

Next since this is a smoker welly it goes in the pellet at 425 (ps the outside temp was 35, oh and we are still sans oven).
FB9EAD76-146E-4FAC-BFEB-5E766DB8380C.jpeg

here they are at mid cook, and before I do a 180 turn. Oh man.....happy thoughts....
1FBCCB9C-951D-47A7-BB48-C0BFDD615E76.jpeg

33 min to done! The sweet thing with the pork is you are only cooking the pastry cause you don’t need to hit a temp on the pork....
CD44CC7A-94CB-4376-882D-18A033AABA94.jpeg

NOW this is a pork Sami!
83F81DF2-DEBE-4857-A945-979D80517131.jpeg

HAPPY THOUGHTS!
DDCA9AAD-DABD-49A9-8B52-2FE94BCDC8B8.jpeg

the slicing
884448AE-DD46-421B-AE7D-2E6258111658.jpeg

Oh man you can see the smoke ring from the day before smoke!!!!
464DE25A-6EF3-40B0-8544-752505E49A87.jpeg

And now the proper introduction to the smoked pork Wellington aka the deluxe pulled pork Sami! It is garnished with a sweet & hot finishing sauce and joined with a homemade slaw, barrel pickles and the very last garden tomato of the year.
2D83C4FD-17CF-4959-93A9-BA247F20F738.jpeg

PURE PORK WELLY MONEY!
1D0CBDC5-E78C-4F59-9F07-B317B4B56914.jpeg

I have no words other than our fam is ruined for traditional pulled porks now!!!

This is BBQ!

What a meal! Looks great. How do you make your homemade slaw? If you don't mind sharing I would love to hear.

LOL! Very creative my friend. What's next, Turkey Breast Wellington? Maybe Sausage Dressing instead of Duxelle....JJ

Wow, that is a piece of art, looks so damn tasty. The pastry looks perfectly cooked. Nice work & thanks for sharing your method, I may try that someday.

Looks excellent! Picture perfect and I'm sure as delicious as it looks. Great work. I'd also like to see the slaw recipe.

Man that looks awesome! Alot of work but I'm sure well worth it! Loved that plated shot. Very nice job for you and your staff (family)!

That's way better looking than the pigs in a blanket I grew up eating!

Ryan

What a meal! Looks great. How do you make your homemade slaw? If you don't mind sharing I would love to hear.
Thanks! $

Looks excellent! Picture perfect and I'm sure as delicious as it looks. Great work. I'd also like to see the slaw recipe.
Many thanks MJB!

Its a simple Slaw (5 min):
1C Mayo
1/4C apple cider vinegar
1tbs dijon or other spicy mustard
2 tsp celery salt
Then sugar, salt, & pepper to taste.
This is about enough for a 1/2 head of cabbage....

The other thing I do is NOT mix it all up with the cabbage, I only mix what I want for dinner about 30 min prior, then save the dressing and cabbage separately for the next meal. This way it stays crispy and fresh.

Reactions: forktender
Oh wow! Nice work! I bet it was delicious!
Thanks Sow, I know we are spoiled at our house for sure!

LOL! Very creative my friend. What's next, Turkey Breast Wellington? Maybe Sausage Dressing instead of Duxelle....JJ
JJ many thanks! I do have ideas on others.....but those will have to wait... I've been thinking of a way to do poultry but the IT temp thing and pasty cook had me stumped, but now that you mention it....I have another thought that would work....THANKS! Thanksgiving is coming up you know!

Looks delicious!
Lot of work, but it sure looks like it was worth it!
Al
Al, it was worth the work! I started at 5 and we sat down at the table at 7:30 so not too bad considering (I wrapped up 4 but only cooked 2). The best thing to do would be make the package the night before then it would be an easy meal. My daughter "borrowed" on of the extra packages to take home for dinner in her college apartment.....Her room mates are going to give her the "eyes"

Looks great . Was the pork shredded or rolled up whole ?
Thanks chop, the shoulder was just sliced cold into the roll sections. The part that was deboned previously was just held together by the wrapping. It ended almost being cross grain cut when sliced. it was crazy tender. My daughter liked it better than the beef welly, but she loves pork!

That is quite a piece of work, Like! Darned near too pretty to eat. RAY
Thanks RAY! Oh, it was too good to not to eat!

Last edited:
Wow, that is a piece of art, looks so damn tasty. The pastry looks perfectly cooked. Nice work & thanks for sharing your method, I may try that someday.
Thanks Jabiru! You are welcome! I like thinking out of the box to create a new meal experience! This one WILL be done many times in the future at our house for sure.

Wow that looks great!
Much appreciate Brian T!
Nice awesome.

Warren
Thanks Warren!
View attachment 468400

That looks to die for man! Should be front and center for sure. Hell of a cook!
Many thanks SVOLF! It has been fun using the smoker in different ways than low and slow....and in this case both low and slow and hot and fast for the same meal!

Man that looks awesome! Alot of work but I'm sure well worth it! Loved that plated shot. Very nice job for you and your staff (family)!

That's way better looking than the pigs in a blanket I grew up eating!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Yes it is a very fancy pig in a blanket....something which is get still at the local Maverick often still! BBQ is way cool on a paper sheet and large plate, but it can also be elegant too....LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky