Instant read depth markings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

IA pigsNcrops

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 6, 2019
Has anyone found a high quality handheld instant read that has some type of marking every 1/4" or so. I always probe the full thickness of the meat, then mark with my finger, remove, then reinsert at half the distance . Seems if there were markings, once this is done the first time, you could see the depth and then use that the next time you check for internal temp.

Take your dremel or file and etch a line every 1/4 or 1/2"...JJ

Just curious Dave. You think some shallow scratches will cause a problem? You can be counted on to catch issues I miss...JJ

Honestly I wouldn't do that either JJ. Those probes are so fragile that who knows how thin that metal is & how easily you could put a hole in one. I do like Gary does & put it along side of the meat until it is at the desired place then slide it in the meat. I also probe the meat in several places with an instant read so it may be at different levels if the meat is not uniform in thickness.

I'm afraid the scratches would start a place for the probe to snap off.... a weak place for a crack to start.... or if too deep, a leak....

Reactions: chopsaw
I see your point but I was thinking a just visible scratch rather than a notch, per se. Fortunately, I have strong visualization skills, I can see the Swan in a raw block of ice, so I just know how far the probe is in. But I can also see the benefit of a Graduated Probe...JJ

Yes... I see the benefits also... Maybe, measure the meat diameter and put a rubber band around it to locate center... Mark it with a felt tip marker.... You ain't sticking it in the meat to that point anyway.... I'm concerned about the integrity of the probe..
Anywho, use a dremel and mark graduations on the temp probes... order extras while your thinking of it...
Or, slide the probe in UNTIL you get to the coldest part of the meat... It doesn't matter if it's center or not...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky