Increasing Smoke Flavor in my Recteq Bulls Eye and 590 smokers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SaintBBQ

Original poster
Dec 10, 2017
Hi Everyone!
I love my Recteq smokers (customer service, reliability, consistency, taste, etc.)
On a pellet grill I've been advised not to use a "pellet tube" to light and sit on the grate while cooking as it might throw off the grill's perfomrance and require resettilng and all that.
I have used their pellets (Hickory and Oak) and although they cook well, a real smokey flavor (not always desired) is hard to get. I also have tried Trager , CookingPellets, Bear Mountain, and others. Of course I have also tried 1-8hr low temp (180-200) "pre smoke" before raising the temp to cook. Beef and poultry are my main interests now.
Thanks,
Saintbbq

I use a pellet tray and tube on my 590. I sue the 180 degree smoke mode. For me this gives me flavor similar to the local bbq place that uses and offset for their stuff.

I use a pellet tube and keep it away from the thermistor, it gets mixed in with the heat from the main burner and doesn't affect my temps , just keep it a foot or more away and I wouldn’t think you will have any problems, try Kingsford pellets I find they give good smoke to a little higher temp than others

Reactions: Winterrider
I am not a big fan of RT pellets. I got 200# with my 1250. Have been using Lumberjack & like them better. Didn’t know RT recommends not using a tube in their smokers. I wonder how they feel about putting wood chips or chunks on the burn pot cover?
Al

I am not a big fan of RT pellets. I got 200# with my 1250. Have been using Lumberjack & like them better. Didn’t know RT recommends not using a tube in their smokers. I wonder how they feel about putting wood chips or chunks on the burn pot cover?
Al
I had the 200# of RT pellets also when purchased 590. Not bad but LJ ,way better I think also.
I think RT is just worried the little additional heat put out from the tube may affect the thermostat probe. Never had a problem, use a 6" for couple hrs extra smoke all the time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky