muddled though my first brisket smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goofy Yno

Original poster
Mar 24, 2022
Oklahoma city
As most of you said, it was too early to try a brisket, but I needed a practice run as soon I need a brisket for company. Boy was I bad. The end product tasted good, I'd give it a A for flavor, but It was a bit tough, probably a D+ for consistency, c- for dryness.
bbq 1.jpg

bbq2.jpg

bbq3.jpg

Boy, did I learn. my small cheap, off set grill cannot be run like the ones I see on videos. I would get a good temp going, but if I add split log of wood , the temp would go too high. I would also be so happy that I was running at a good temp, then the fire would go out. So what I figured out was I need to check every 10-15 minutes, and I need to add a few pieces of charcoal each time to maintain the fire without going to hot. (I tried the snake method but they all caught on fire:( I also need to use wood chucks not bigger pieces.

I had a small 3.5 lbs brisket, it was 47 degrees out. started at 5:30. took vigorous notes. stayed mostly between 180 and 250. (except for huge fluctuation when restarting) stalled at brisket temp of 152. wrapped. pulled at 196. rested several hours in cooler. took 7 hours of cooking time.

A tough brisket is an undercooked brisket. You are looking for a probe or skewer to slide in like you are poking a jar of peanut butter with it. So you just pulled it too early. Most of us pull around 203 but that's just a guide. The probe test tells the truth

Reactions: tallbm and sandyut
I did probe it, seemed to go though very easily. but that is a relative term. Thanks for the hint. Undercooked. got it.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Judging probe tenderness can be a little tricky, especially if your meat is wrapped in foil or butcher paper. May just take a little practice.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I did probe it, seemed to go though very easily. but that is a relative term.
these take practice. If it was eatable it was not a fail. You will get better at them. Temp fluctuations rarely cause significant issues.

It sure looks good to me!
If you have leftovers, then I would cube the brisket & use it for chili. Brisket chili is to die for, and after cooking a bit more in the chili, the brisket will melt in your mouth!
Al

Temp fluctuations rarely cause significant issues.
I'm glad to hear this. My brisket tasting good is poof, but will all the talk about temps, I thought that was the crucial part. I guess as long as it's not too hot for too long?

I can’t speak for a wood offset, but in all my reading and my experience with a WSM, so long as the temp is generally where you planned it turns out. huge fluctuation and for longer times obviously could be an issue.

I did probe it, seemed to go though very easily. but that is a relative term. Thanks for the hint. Undercooked. got it.
Glad it tasted good, I’m with Al on the chili option! Love brisket chili! One thought on the probe, did you do a full packer with a point and flat or just a flat? If you’re doing a full packer you need to make sure you’re probing the flat and not the point, which is always ready before the flat…hope that makes sense!

Tough could have to do with how it was sliced too. Against the grain. Otherwise can be a little tough even at temp. I remember making that mistake early on. Now I slide a toothpick in before seasoning so I know what way it’s going.

Boy, did I learn. my small cheap, off set grill cannot be run like the ones I see on videos. I would get a good temp going, but if I add split log of wood , the temp would go too high. I would also be so happy that I was running at a good temp, then the fire would go out. So what I figured out was I need to check every 10-15 minutes, and I need to add a few pieces of charcoal each time to maintain the fire without going to hot. (I tried the snake method but they all caught on fire:( I also need to use wood chucks not bigger pieces.
My first offset was an char broiler. Very cheap and thin metal. I was determined to burn just wood in it. The only way I could keep it running around 250 degrees was to cut my wood pieces about 6” long and maybe the size of a ”C” cell battery. I couldn’t walk away from it for more than 5 or 10 minutes. It was a pain but I was able to get some good product out of it. I also developed some good hatchet skills splitting wood that small. All that said, you can make it work. When you wrap the next one try adding some beef broth or Campbells Beef Consommé. My briskets generally don’t get probe tender until it gets over 200 degrees internal.
Don‘t give up

Reactions: goofy Yno
My first offset was an char broiler. Very cheap and thin metal. I was determined to burn just wood in it. The only way I could keep it running around 250 degrees was to cut my wood pieces about 6” long and maybe the size of a ”C” cell battery. I couldn’t walk away from it for more than 5 or 10 minutes. It was a pain but I was able to get some good product out of it. I also developed some good hatchet skills splitting wood that small. All that said, you can make it work. When you wrap the next one try adding some beef broth or Campbells Beef Consommé. My briskets generally don’t get probe tender until it gets over 200 degrees internal.
Don‘t give up

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky