Increasing Smoke Flavor in my Recteq Bulls Eye and 590 smokers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

SaintBBQ

Original poster
Dec 10, 2017
Hi Everyone!
I love my Recteq smokers (customer service, reliability, consistency, taste, etc.)
On a pellet grill I've been advised not to use a "pellet tube" to light and sit on the grate while cooking as it might throw off the grill's perfomrance and require resettilng and all that.
I have used their pellets (Hickory and Oak) and although they cook well, a real smokey flavor (not always desired) is hard to get. I also have tried Trager , CookingPellets, Bear Mountain, and others. Of course I have also tried 1-8hr low temp (180-200) "pre smoke" before raising the temp to cook. Beef and poultry are my main interests now.
Thanks,
Saintbbq

BurntWeenie

Meat Mopper
Nov 23, 2021
Tampa, Florida
I use a pellet tray and tube on my 590. I sue the 180 degree smoke mode. For me this gives me flavor similar to the local bbq place that uses and offset for their stuff.

mike243

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 25, 2018
E Tn
I use a pellet tube and keep it away from the thermistor, it gets mixed in with the heat from the main burner and doesn't affect my temps , just keep it a foot or more away and I wouldn’t think you will have any problems, try Kingsford pellets I find they give good smoke to a little higher temp than others

Reactions: Winterrider

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I am not a big fan of RT pellets. I got 200# with my 1250. Have been using Lumberjack & like them better. Didn’t know RT recommends not using a tube in their smokers. I wonder how they feel about putting wood chips or chunks on the burn pot cover?
Al

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
I am not a big fan of RT pellets. I got 200# with my 1250. Have been using Lumberjack & like them better. Didn’t know RT recommends not using a tube in their smokers. I wonder how they feel about putting wood chips or chunks on the burn pot cover?
Al
I had the 200# of RT pellets also when purchased 590. Not bad but LJ ,way better I think also.
I think RT is just worried the little additional heat put out from the tube may affect the thermostat probe. Never had a problem, use a 6" for couple hrs extra smoke all the time.